Exhaust Pressure Control Valve

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
ForumBlue said:
Thanks, Big red. Brakes are cheaper than Trannys so I guess I'll leave it alone.
\

This is not necessarily true. You automatic guys can do this, too, you just need to do it in conjunction with a TC lockup override, which locks your TC when you turn ont he switch. If the TC is locked, you will not hurt anything using an exhaust brake. Even if it isn't locked, and EB doesn't hurt anything, it just doesn't do much, because the unlocked TC doesn't transfer very much braking horsepower to the rear wheels.

It will not hurt your transmission to use an exhaust brake.

What i would do is wire the EBPV as I discussed above, and then run the 12V off the SAME SWITCH to lock the TC. That way, as soon as you turn on your EB, it locks your TC and transfers braking HP to the rear wheels. :sweet

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Let me cut in line here by Welcoming Hoss 350 to SuperDutyDiesel,great to have you on board :thumbs

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yes, what Hoss says is corect in my experience, no harm no foul to the auto tranny if using the EBPV (or any Ex brake for that matter) as an exhaust brake. But the gains are minimal unless you have done the TC lockup mod.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[\QUOTE]That having been said, I did the EBPV mod on my truck too, and LOVE IT. While it may not necessarily SLOW the truck on every hill, what it does do is hold it at a steady speed instead of allowing it to run off down the hill. You don't have to use your service brakes hardly at all even on the steepest of hills with the heaviest of loads.

To those that asked, you can do the mod the way Joe did it by simply finding the wires that come out of the EBPV (at the base of the turbo pedestal, at the front). There are two wires for the EBPV, IIRC one is solid black, one is grey w/ black tracer. Cut the Grey wire and wire it to a switch that supplies 12V hot power fromt he battery. When you flip it on, the EBPV turns on, and voila! you have braking. I also use mine in conjuction with my homemade high-idle function to run my idle up to 1200 RPM, then close the EBPV to put it under load. That way, in the morning, it heats up FAST. In something like 5 min I had warm air at the vents in 15 F weather. It rocks.[/QUOTE]

Yip.... Thats exactly what I did. And thanks Hoss, for the AIC idea, I'm guna look into that this weekend, I'd like to have a few more RPMs at times, at idle. Winters come'n.

And yer right Hoss, this little trick ROCKs. Not a Brake, but a Hold Back. Helps to maintain a speed, going down hill. Seems to work best at above 2K RPMs for actually slowing you down some. I like it. 95K on the origonal brakes, lots left too.

JOE

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
\

This is not necessarily true. You automatic guys can do this, too, you just need to do it in conjunction with a TC lockup override, which locks your TC when you turn ont he switch. If the TC is locked, you will not hurt anything using an exhaust brake. Even if it isn't locked, and EB doesn't hurt anything, it just doesn't do much, because the unlocked TC doesn't transfer very much braking horsepower to the rear wheels.

It will not hurt your transmission to use an exhaust brake.

What i would do is wire the EBPV as I discussed above, and then run the 12V off the SAME SWITCH to lock the TC. That way, as soon as you turn on your EB, it locks your TC and transfers braking HP to the rear wheels. :sweet

Let my qualify my statement by saying that if you have an early/original TC in a 95 - 97. the newer TC are stronger and the lockup clutch surface area is much greater. You are correct Hoss in saying that it won't hurt the transmission, I agree, but feel otherwise with respect to the early torque converters, they are much weaker than the updated ones put in the super duties. Also let me say welcome to the forum too ;) .

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BigRed CC dually said:
Let my qualify my statement by saying that if you have an early/original TC in a 95 - 97. the newer TC are stronger and the lockup clutch surface area is much greater. You are correct Hoss in saying that it won't hurt the transmission, I agree, but feel otherwise with respect to the early torque converters, they are much weaker than the updated ones put in the super duties. Also let me say welcome to the forum too ;) .

I had that mod on my 95 with no issues whatsoever, over 50k or so. Pulling alot of weight as well. Generally in the 30k range.

Car_nut57

Reaction score
Big Joe, the EBV used as an exhaust brake is great for a 6-speed, but with an automatic you need to be careful. When the throttle position goes to idle so does the line pressure in the auto trans so even if the TC is kept locked up, you can still get slipping in the trans due to the low line pressure. So with an automatic trans it is important to use a device to increase line pressure and keep the TC locked while any exhaust brake is applied.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a brake TC controler from SP Diesel, it has several diferent functions. It was priced good so I went with it, love it and it works of off the cruse buttons.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Car_nut57 said:
Big Joe, the EBV used as an exhaust brake is great for a 6-speed, but with an automatic you need to be careful. When the throttle position goes to idle so does the line pressure in the auto trans so even if the TC is kept locked up, you can still get slipping in the trans due to the low line pressure. So with an automatic trans it is important to use a device to increase line pressure and keep the TC locked while any exhaust brake is applied.

Thanks Carnut,

I'v never had an automatic (in a Pick-up), maybe I should have been more specific. Hope I did'nt mislead anyone. Mine is a home made deal.... I'v seen a "EBV for a Brake" mod, for sale on E-bay.... hope it has whats needed for you Automatic guys.

Shur does work good with a "Hand Shaker".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64