BIO Diesel

scotty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Guys I want to start runing bio.I think I will start with B20.My truck is an 01
I dont know what typ off fuel line I have.Stock fuel filters are bit pricey,so I
was thinking of runing a pre fillter a spin on perhaps.What do you masters
of bio think,any input would be greatly appreciated

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Run it. After 1000 miles change the filter (stock is adequate). After next 1000 miles check it and replace if required. I was home brewing and running B100 with no problems for about 2 years until I had to move across the country.

Scott

scotty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
kool,as easy as that.I'm a bit worried fuel lines,seals and tank deposits.1000 miles you say.I can do that.B100 home brew is the goal.Thanks for the info Sagebel

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Anything greater than '94 I believe has synthetic rubber fuel lines. The biggest thing to worry about is the fuel filter. You may want to carry a spare and the required tools to change it. Also, Biodiesel will gel at a warmer temp than straight #2. My home brew started to cloud at around 38*. If it is colder, you can blend bio with #2.

Scott

scotty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the 94 or better,yer the 2nd person to say that.I live in california so I should be good for 8 months a year.I might go with appleseed processer,what do you think. thanks again
scott

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Do a little reading down in the alternative fuels section. I built my old appleseed processor for about $350. It paid for itself pretty quickly.

Scott

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
your filter seals wont like high concentrations and will expand. the high pressure fuel lines will begin to look wet and sticky when/if they begin to have a problem but also only with high concentrations. Just keep an eye on them.

even though your stock filter is adequate, it is a good idea to run a Racor prefilter - the Dahls (despite what they will say) are NOT bio compatible and will delaminate in the inside of the filter canister. Several of us on here are running Racor filters with water separators. I highly recommend it.

Mine is a 97 and I had to replace two of the fuel lines from the filter bowl to the front of the heads. I got SS braided viton lines for $27 made while I waited. The stock lines are not synthetic, or if they are, they are not bio compatible.

Last edited:

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scotty,

You will be fine, just keep extra fuel filters on hand. as you will experience the B20 cleaning out the crud in your fuel system.

Butch Cassidy

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run it all in my truck from B20 to B99 to homebrew. Just keep an eye on your filter. Enjoy it just watch the cold weather. I had a tank full of B99 and got into some cold weather in AR, truck didn't like that very much so I went and topped off with #2.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
You will be fine, just keep extra fuel filters on hand. as you will experience the B20 cleaning out the crud in your fuel system.

B20 hardly cleans out the fuel system as B99 does.
I had the same B99 fuel return lines melt down as Tx_Atty.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr