Reading Engine Codes

Waltwin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am trying to read engine codes on my 1995 Ford F-250 7.3 Liter Diesel. The connectors to do this is supposed to be on the drivers side, behind the Hood Hinge. They just aren’t there. One Ford dealer told me that it could be there or under the dash, drivers side at about knee level. There is a connector there but I can’t find any information on how to use it. I purchased a INNOVA Code reading meter but the connector isn’t even close. Any ideas?
Walt

97CREWCABPSD

Smoke What Smoke Officer?
Reaction score
Its called a DLC Data Link Connector and its on the passenger side of the hump right under the dash its black it is about 1 1/2" wide And 3/4" tall and should have a little cover on it. just pull out on the cover and it is a 16 pin connector. hope that helps.

timberjack

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Waltwin, I think you'll find that Innova code reader will not be able to retrieve the specific codes our diesel engine computers produce. You'll need a reader that is able to pick up the Ford "enhanced" codes. I have been planning to pick up the one at www.obd-2.com soon.

FWIW, there might or might not be a cover on the port. My 95 was wide open, but the 96 has the cover.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr