Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Common problems on the 6.4
    SDD Junior Member
    There are a few common problems with the 6.4 that I'm aware of like the Radiator problem. Let's start a list of the frequent ones.

1. Radiator

2. Collapse Details
    fuel in the oil
    O6 King Ranch cc sb 4 inch lift ,35 Pro Comp, 18" Helo’s ,Edge Insight CTS guage only , Auber EGT ,
    08 center console ,2x10 subs, xm satellite ,coolant filter,RSX 9000 shocks,dual Bilstein steering stabilizers , Air bags and remote ,Viper alarm , remote toolbox popper, High Idle mod , up fitters added ,weather guard mats , ARP's, BPD EGR cooler, Marinco Mod ,Zoodad Fabtech traction bars, SCT with Matt's tunes

3. Collapse Details
    crappy milage

DP Filter
    Last edited by Dogman; 06-22-2011 at 08:25 AM.
    2005,F-350 TOW BOSS, DRW, SHORT BED, 4:30 GEARS

4. Collapse Details
    Radiator problems are pretty much ancient news. There were only problems in the Job 1 trucks.
    ----- Bob ------

-2009 F350 CCLB Job 2, Lariat Ultimate, 6.4, Auto, S&B Intake, DieselSite Coolant filter, 2.5" levelling kit, Bilstein 5100's, 325/65/R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Weld EVO Cheyenne 8 wheels, Mag-Hytec Diff covers, Carriage Works Billet Grille, Line-X Xtra Spray in Bedliner, Dura Flap Mudflaps, Weatherguard toolbox.
    Ordered 4-13-09, Built 6-17-09, Delivered 7-6-09
    http://community.webshots.com/user/FineFord

5. Collapse Details
    SDD Junior Member
    I've let this run for nearly one week, not much has shown up. This is what I expected...the 6.4 has been quite reliable.

As with any engine that is mass produced, there can and will be issues here and there. However, after more than 4 years in service, the 6.4 doesn't seem to have many common, recurring problems. Other than sub-standard MPGs, it has turned out to be a great engine.

6. Collapse Details
    Mileage is the biggest problem.

7. Collapse Details
    I have a 08 job 1 only the charged air cooler went. ford fixed for free
    2008 F-350 Crew Cab long Bed Lariat. Spartan 250 tune. S&B Cold Air intake 4"MBRP SS Exhaust
    Proud to Fly the Stars and Strips!

8. Collapse Details
    SDD Junior Member
    I have a 2010 F 350. I have never owned a diesel before and got this one to tow a 32 ft travel trailer. I have put 22,000 miles on it in the first year and have not had any problems with it other then the DPF "regenerating" 2-3 times a week during normal city driving, no towing. Just got back from a 200 mile trip to Utah and it cleaned itself 3 times in 200 miles. Milage suffers and EGT goes way up while towing. It is stock except for a K & N air filter, no cold air intake, and an edge CTS programmer. It cleans itself with or without the programmer. I have taken it to the dealer and they say "dont know what to tell you" it depends on time of year and type of fuel. Its been doing this hot or cold ambiet temps. Anyone have the same problem or suggestions ?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by defendu View Post
    I have a 2010 F 350. I have never owned a diesel before and got this one to tow a 32 ft travel trailer. I have put 22,000 miles on it in the first year and have not had any problems with it other then the DPF "regenerating" 2-3 times a week during normal city driving, no towing. Just got back from a 200 mile trip to Utah and it cleaned itself 3 times in 200 miles. Milage suffers and EGT goes way up while towing. It is stock except for a K & N air filter, no cold air intake, and an edge CTS programmer. It cleans itself with or without the programmer. I have taken it to the dealer and they say "dont know what to tell you" it depends on time of year and type of fuel. Its been doing this hot or cold ambiet temps. Anyone have the same problem or suggestions ?
    Mine did it for sometime until I drove about 2500 miles on the big road at 70mph. After two good cleaning it's been fine. I do know that fuel quality plays a really big part. I found a company here that sells diesel with a 50+ cetane rating and they sold me 100 gal. I put 30 gal in the truck and man did my truck love that. My MPG shot up to 18.6 mpg (done by hand).

10. Collapse Details
    The K&N air filter is not very good. You are much better off using anyone elses air filter system. K&N does not filter very well. This will lead to troubles with your turbo. Just a word of caution.

Dave
    2004 F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.

Completely Stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast