Common problems on the 6.4

Brad777

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There are a few common problems with the 6.4 that I'm aware of like the Radiator problem. Let's start a list of the frequent ones.

1. Radiator

Fine69

Reaction score
Radiator problems are pretty much ancient news. There were only problems in the Job 1 trucks.

Brad777

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've let this run for nearly one week, not much has shown up. This is what I expected...the 6.4 has been quite reliable.

As with any engine that is mass produced, there can and will be issues here and there. However, after more than 4 years in service, the 6.4 doesn't seem to have many common, recurring problems. Other than sub-standard MPGs, it has turned out to be a great engine. :)

Polby

Super Duty Memeber
Reaction score
I have a 08 job 1 only the charged air cooler went. ford fixed for free

defendu

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 F 350. I have never owned a diesel before and got this one to tow a 32 ft travel trailer. I have put 22,000 miles on it in the first year and have not had any problems with it other then the DPF "regenerating" 2-3 times a week during normal city driving, no towing. Just got back from a 200 mile trip to Utah and it cleaned itself 3 times in 200 miles. Milage suffers and EGT goes way up while towing. It is stock except for a K & N air filter, no cold air intake, and an edge CTS programmer. It cleans itself with or without the programmer. I have taken it to the dealer and they say "dont know what to tell you" it depends on time of year and type of fuel. Its been doing this hot or cold ambiet temps. Anyone have the same problem or suggestions ?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 F 350. I have never owned a diesel before and got this one to tow a 32 ft travel trailer. I have put 22,000 miles on it in the first year and have not had any problems with it other then the DPF "regenerating" 2-3 times a week during normal city driving, no towing. Just got back from a 200 mile trip to Utah and it cleaned itself 3 times in 200 miles. Milage suffers and EGT goes way up while towing. It is stock except for a K & N air filter, no cold air intake, and an edge CTS programmer. It cleans itself with or without the programmer. I have taken it to the dealer and they say "dont know what to tell you" it depends on time of year and type of fuel. Its been doing this hot or cold ambiet temps. Anyone have the same problem or suggestions ?

Mine did it for sometime until I drove about 2500 miles on the big road at 70mph. After two good cleaning it's been fine. I do know that fuel quality plays a really big part. I found a company here that sells diesel with a 50+ cetane rating and they sold me 100 gal. I put 30 gal in the truck and man did my truck love that. My MPG shot up to 18.6 mpg (done by hand).

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The K&N air filter is not very good. You are much better off using anyone elses air filter system. K&N does not filter very well. This will lead to troubles with your turbo. Just a word of caution.

Dave :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr