Jet A in a 6.7

jvrapt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with it? I know that it's worked in the older models.

Why you ask? I have access to sumped Jet fuel from the aircraft I fly. It's sumped daily. The fuel is free and clear from water/contaminents and hey, it's FREE!! I'm looking into running it as a blend with Low Sulphur Diesel. 50/50

Thanks!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, Welcome to SSD.com
When I was in the Navy many years ago, we loved getting JP-4 or 5 to run in
the diesel engines on the ship, but for a new truck I don't think I would use over
5 gal per tank fulland then I would mix some oil with it. What color is it and what
about getting your tankdipped. No tax fuel makes the LA-DOT boys real made.
Ask me how I know. LOL
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with it? I know that it's worked in the older models.

Why you ask? I have access to sumped Jet fuel from the aircraft I fly. It's sumped daily. The fuel is free and clear from water/contaminents and hey, it's FREE!! I'm looking into running it as a blend with Low Sulphur Diesel. 50/50

Thanks!

From a retired DOD Aviation & Ground Fuels Guy ?

Sumped fuel (Slop fuel.. in Fuel speak) may look good, [visually].. but could have many contaminants in it, like particulates, micro biological growths, H2o and other nasty stuff you Can't see. Unless you have acsess to the Daily Sample [LAB] results......... And what you dump into your tank hasn't been co-mingled with any other BAD samples.. it's Yer Call.. I wouldn't use it. It just ain't worth the gamble. But If you do..Be Awful Careful with that RATIO.

Jet A has flash point issues, verses Diesel fuels... and being a Jet fuel... it has additives in it. Some of those additives can have a negative effect on certain O rings and Gasket materials used in many Diesel engine fuel sytems.

It just ain't worth it.

On Edit ? What RoyBoy sez below too.

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Just remember if you do it and have a problem, it'll be on you. The fuel systems in these trucks are incredibly expensive to repair. I don't know the properties of Jet A, but if it's much different than ULSD, I wouldn't even consider it. JMHO

jvrapt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input gentlemen. I appreciate your concerns for the fuel quality as it pertains to "sumped" however that is no concern. The aircraft is sumped daily and the fuel is more free of issues than any road fuel we've used. The primary concern is with how the engine would handle it.

I've spoken to a lot of guys in the aviation world in the last few days that has run Jet A for years now and has had sucess.

Thanks again.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input gentlemen.

I've spoken to a lot of guys in the aviation world in the last few days that has run Jet A for years now and has had sucess.

Thanks again.

;tu

Best of Luck to ya...

The Long Term effects would be my concern. DPF too ?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer looks for ANY reason to kill your warrenty. They will test the fuel to see what it is. If there is the a problem.

Term3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think a 60/40 mixture of jp 4 or 5 would be fine considering some of the other slop guys are pouring into their tanks. Jp 4/5 has a lower viscosity then #2 diesel it also has next to nothing for additives other then a rather complex pour point additive package.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr