Jet A in a 6.7

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a 60/40 mixture of jp 4 or 5 would be fine considering some of the other slop guys are pouring into their tanks. Jp 4/5 has a lower viscosity then #2 diesel it also has next to nothing for additives other then a rather complex pour point additive package.

Welcome Aboard Term3 ;tu;tu

Ain't guna butt heads withya, But I may beg to differ withya there :)

All simply put:

Jet A is basically a Kerosene. A Stock. The JP blends go from there.

JP-4 has Naphtha in it.. a Volatile liquid, by classification, F.S.I.I., a compound known to be a Corrosive, and virtually no Lubricity. It's vapors will ignite at any temprature, with any spark or flame.

JP-5 has very little lubricity, as compared to Diesel fuels.. and F.S.I.I.. It's vapors will only ignite after being heated to it's API specific flash point.

Yer common ordinary diesel engine fuel system is Not, by basic design, from Tank to Injector nozzle, set up to run JP fuels.

You maybe/might be able to run a mixture of some sort. After all, a diesel will run on anything that will flash, under compression.... but in a round number...(?) it's a $10,000 maybe/might.. Chance.. I'm not willing to take. The fuel money savings.. just ain't there.

But then.. thats just me.

Joe

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would not think it would make economic sense either. Cost of cheap ass fuel compared to a new engine? No way. Get real diesel fuel.

Dave

Term3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Welcome Aboard Term3 ;tu;tu

Ain't guna butt heads withya, But I may beg to differ withya there :)

All simply put:

Jet A is basically a Kerosene. A Stock. The JP blends go from there.

JP-4 has Naphtha in it.. a Volatile liquid, by classification, F.S.I.I., a compound known to be a Corrosive, and virtually no Lubricity. It's vapors will ignite at any temprature, with any spark or flame.

JP-5 has very little lubricity, as compared to Diesel fuels.. and F.S.I.I.. It's vapors will only ignite after being heated to it's API specific flash point.

Yer common ordinary diesel engine fuel system is Not, by basic design, from Tank to Injector nozzle, set up to run JP fuels.

You maybe/might be able to run a mixture of some sort. After all, a diesel will run on anything that will flash, under compression.... but in a round number...(?) it's a $10,000 maybe/might.. Chance.. I'm not willing to take. The fuel money savings.. just ain't there.

But then.. thats just me.

Joe

I should have clarified what I was saying. I agree with you and I wouldn't use it myself but there are so many guys brewing their own slop with gasoline and use oil, used cooking oil, used ATF, etc. so to me the JP and diesel mix seemed tame to me. :) I worked in a Catalytic Reforming Unit which makes a large component of JP fuel so you couldn't pay me to use it in any % of a mixture. Like we said, there is basically no additives for lubrication. Too many guys think "if it burns I can use it as diesel fuel".

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have clarified what I was saying. I agree with you and I wouldn't use it myself but there are so many guys brewing their own slop with gasoline and use oil, used cooking oil, used ATF, etc. so to me the JP and diesel mix seemed tame to me. :) I worked in a Catalytic Reforming Unit which makes a large component of JP fuel so you couldn't pay me to use it in any % of a mixture. Like we said, there is basically no additives for lubrication. Too many guys think "if it burns I can use it as diesel fuel".

Roger That ;);tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track