First long fifthwheel pull with new 6.7 PSD

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Glad to report my new 2012 Ford F-250 ,6.7 PSD ,SuperCab,3.31 rear gear pulled our 40 ft 6 inch Designer Fifthwheel from Indiana to Pine Island ,Fla a total of 1,265 miles averaging 13.7 MPG. The new FORD F-250 with Air Lift air springs towed the 15K+lbs Designer with ease,and was much more stable,fuel efficient,and powerful on hills than my old 2001 7.3 PSD F-350. The new TorqueShift 6-speed automatic was flawless on hills and descents in the Tow/Haul mode. What a difference 12 years in Ford technology makes! I was actually averaging 14+ MPG most of the trip,but three accidents and road construction from Tampa to Cape Coral caused a 2+ hour crawl ,and the constant stopping and starting knocked the final MPG to 13.7 arriving at the Pine Island KOA RV Resort. The new Ford F-250 with the same Air Lift system actually out-performed my old reliable 2001 Ford F-350 ,7.3 PSD in every way,answering the question of whether the newer Ford F-250 could handle the towing job as well as the 2001 Ford F-350! I made the right choice !! The 2012 F-250 can and will beat the old Ford F-350 in towing,and is much more comfortable and handles better under loads. Can't wait to install a high flow Air Filter/Box to see what power and fuel mileage improvements I can gain. Any suggestions on what Air filter/box design is best for the new 6.7 PSD?? Any other easy Mods? Thanks--keep you updated on pull home in April! PS: My local Ford dealer threw a first free oil/filter change in at 3,200 miles before the start of our first pull south in the new 2012 6.7 PSD--But installed MotorCraft 10W 30 oil--I always successfully used MotorCraft 15W 40 Diesel oil in my 2001 7.3 PSD with absolutely no usage or oil related issues--Is the 10W 30 the corect oil for my new 6.7 PSD when towing?? Thanks!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What does your owners manual say about this? I use 5W40 in my truck. The trend is to go with lighter oil for better fuel economy, but I am not familiar with 10W30 for diesels.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;tu Thanks for the feedback Racinghcr.

I've only got about 500+ miles on my new 6.7, but this thing Just.. Feels.. GREAT ! I'm seeing 17 mpg's 'round town w/3:73's.. my SOTP tells me that will improve with Time & Miles too. The Cab Comfort, Ride and Power is phenomenal.. for a DRW, 4X4.. I'm also very impressed with the 6 speed auto trans, in Tow/Haul. (I'm still reach'n for the floor shift though;))

I've only pulled our 5r for a short 40 mile, round trip, flat ground trip.. But I'm not sure the 6.7 knew the 12K lb. 5r was even hooked up.;)

For Now.. because I tow often, I'm thinking I'll run Ford's 5W-40 (CJ-4), per the Owners Manual, for the first two, maybe 3.. oil change cycles.. then look into my good 'ol tried & true.. Rotella T, 5W-40 Full Synthetic. We'll see. :dunno

Thanks again for the feedback. I hope to report back with the same favorable results as as you've had so far. ;tu ;tu

Joe

( I'll be looking into a improved Air Intake & DPF back..Exhaust too ?) (after say.. 5 to 10K miles ?)

Last edited:

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Above 0 F......10W-30 [1]
Above -20 F......5W-40 [2]
Above 20 F......15W-40 [3]
All TEMPS......0W-40, 0W-30

[1] Recommended for normal usage only.
[2,3] For biodiesel (grades B5-B20) use SAE 5W-40, or SAE 15W-40.
For severe duty usage, use 5W-40.

Engine lubrication for severe service operation
The following conditions define severe operation for which engine operation
with SAE 5W-40 API CJ-4 is recommended. Oil and oil filter change intervals
will be determined by the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ as noted previously.
• frequent or extended idling (over 10 minutes per hour of normal driving)
• low-speed operation/stationary use
• if vehicle is operated in sustained ambient temperatures below -10°F
(-23°C) or above 100°F (38°C)
• frequent low-speed operation, consistent heavy traffic less than
25 mph (40 km/h)
• operating in severe dust conditions
• operating the vehicle off road
• towing a trailer over 1,000 miles (1,600 km)
• sustained, high-speed driving at Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
(maximum loaded weight for vehicle operation)
• use of fuels with sulfur content other than ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD)
• use of high-sulfur diesel fuel

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Thanks Big Joe for the reply! Hope your hauling new 6.7 PSD feels as awesome as mine when you take a longer trip! Let me know when you decide on the best Air Intake system forf the new 6.7 All-Ford PSD. What's scary is it doesn't seem to need much improvement at 400 HP and an incredible 800 Ft Lbs of Torque! Safe Hauling Pal

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Ratchet--I averaged 64 mph on the highway (Interstate 65 S) ,but the 6.7 PSD seemed to be comfortable at that speed. I ran some speeds pulling the 5r above 75 with no problems ,but the mileage dropped off so I returned to the 64-5 range.

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Thanks for the complete Oil rundown Kristolson--I changed the oil-Ford dealer actually gave me the first on free at 3,500 miles (no pulling). I noticed they put in 10w 30 Motorcraft after I started my first pull down to Fla (about 1,100 miles) Do you think this hurt my engine in any way and should I drop that oil out and go to 5w 40 Motorcraft ASAP?Thanks again!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Big Joe for the reply! Hope your hauling new 6.7 PSD feels as awesome as mine when you take a longer trip! Let me know when you decide on the best Air Intake system forf the new 6.7 All-Ford PSD. What's scary is it doesn't seem to need much improvement at 400 HP and an incredible 800 Ft Lbs of Torque! Safe Hauling Pal

;tu We're take'n off on a 300 mile RT RV trip this weekend. First good pull for the 6.7. I Only have abouy 600+ miles on it, so i'll be being kinda easy on it. Might post up some observations next week.

I hear ya on the 400 hp and torque.. but if there's an intake & exhuast set-up that will help it breath a little better.. I may go for it... ONLY if it won't hurt the warrenty though.

Joe

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Thanks Joe! Did you pull your 5er in Tow /Haul only? I used Tow/Haul until we reached the flat land south of Atlanta,then I just used reg Drive and it seemed OK because it didn't have to downshift on small grades,but went back to Tow/Haul when there were several miles of smaller hills in central Florida. Had an honest 14 MPG average until traffic/accidents cut it down to 13.7 MPG when we backed into our winter camp site on Pine Island,Fla. The oil was dark after the nearly 1,300 mile pull. I notice on the oil filler cap that the Factory recommends 10W 30 for regular service and 15W 40 for severe. I really wish my local Ford Dealer would have put in 15W 40 Motorcraft when I had the firt oil change at 3,500 miles just before the pull to Fla. I'll think about putting in the 15W 40 in April for the return trip back to French Lick, Indiana Summer camp site. Does anyone think anything could have been hurt pulling ith the lighter 10W 30?? I hate to change the oil with only about 3,000 + miles on it before returning with 7,500 mile oil change recommended-but probably will. The new all-FORD 6.7 has really exceeded all my expectations and the whole new Ford F-250 is so much improved and very comfortatble. By the way the new Electronic Locking 3.31 rear gear did a great job on snow/mud when we pulling our 5er out of snow bound (16 inches!) Indiana after Christmas. Thanks again Joe-keep us updated!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr