Question power steering

rpbfixit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hello all! question about power steering. had a ps fluid flush done on my 08 250 sdd at 200,000 mi. saw a few spots in the driveway (had oil and coolant done also) so i went back to the shop and they cleaned it up and said no leak. went back a week later with the same complaint and they cleaned it up underneath again but now saw a leak in what they say is the power steering gearbox which looks like it will take a lot of work($$$) to even get to it. the steering and brakes work fine and it doesn't leak everyday.
does this even sound right? is there something i can put in the reservoir to stop it? the stuff i put in my radiator stopped the leak there, anything similar?

Pipewelder

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Did you get it fixed? Mine is making some noise. No leaking yet. If so how much was it?

rpbfixit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Did you get it fixed? Mine is making some noise. No leaking yet. If so how much was it?

Got an estimate for $900. Bought some PS stop leak for $8. No more leak and no noise. If it doesnt work for long I'll suck it up and pay but so far 3000 mi. and all is well!

Pipewelder

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That sounds good. I have an appointment Fri to get my tranny and power steering pump flushed. Got to get back to WY to finish up a pipeline next week.

rpbfixit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have you flushed your trans. before? Reason I ask is on my wife's cars (volvo and a honda ) we flushed the trans. and both times we had to get new transmissions. volvo paid for theirs after a bunch of arguing-i paid for honda. Since then I've been scared to do my sdd250. Its an 08 with 208k on it and never had anything done to the trans. Maybe just bad luck on the foreigners but as i mentioned the power steering flush on my truck backfired too!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have flushed my tranny in my F-350 SDD every 60,000 miles. Keeps the clutches working better with clean tranny fluid.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never flushed my tranny, but I do change it out every 35,000 miles. The last time it was changed out the guy wanted to
know why I was changing it. I told him, that I try to do it around 35,000 miles, he said the oil I was puting in was not much
cleaner than what he dropped out. That sounds good to me. I have seen my temp get to 195 one time pulling the RV in the hills.
Doug

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track