2010 F250 Frame rail fuel filter

trucks4me

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When changing the frame rail fuel filter I attempted to drain the filter body. I drained about half a gallon of fuel and it was not slowing down. Wanting to change the filter I removed cap and changed filter and had fuel running on the ground the whole time. Dealership said this is normal. This can't be, is it?

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
My 06 stops after a little drains out and can change filter without it running down my arm. If your tank was full that might make difference.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What y'all have going on here is: A Syphon. A full tank, or near full, adds the Syphon effect. A liquid will seek the lowest level ?

A fix would be: a Shut Off Valve on the Inlet to the filter boss.

On my trucks, I've install an inlet shut off.. drilled & tapped the filter boss, installed a bleed valve.

1. shut off the inlet.

2. open the bleed valve.

3. remove the old filter.

4. install the new filter.

5. open the inlet valve

6. bleed the air 'til fuel dribbles from the bleed valve

7. close the bleed valve.

Done Deal.

I always R&R the filters.. with a Full Tank.. that way.. Gravity.. (the Syphon) is my friend ?

Joe

2x6 bulldog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Before you attempt the frame rail fuel filter drive the truck until you get the fuel level below 1/4 tank. The less fuel the better. Also Drive the left front wheel up on a couple of 2x6 board pieces. No more diesel showers.