Brake leak

03F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't sure where to put this 'cause I didn't see a brake sub-forum.

Anyway, I have a leak in my brakes. All 4 lines at the wheels are firm, no squishyness going on at all. It's definitely a brake fluid leak, though, because I can see the level going down after I drive it, my pedal is going to the floor, and I pulled into a supermarket parking lot and the puddle was bringing up the paint.

My question is, does anyone know where I can get a diagram of the hard line routing? It seems as though it's coming from near the gas tank or possibly in front of it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm going to search on the 'net, but figured I'd throw a line out here, too, so that others may see and help in the mean time.

Thanks in advance.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Hard line goes past the fuel tank, so the chances of a brake fluid leak there are slim. The lines go along the drivers side on the frame, past the fuel tank. Maybe a fitting joining tow lines together? Where are you seeing the puddle of brake fluid? What is above the puddle?

Dave :)

03F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hard line goes past the fuel tank, so the chances of a brake fluid leak there are slim. The lines go along the drivers side on the frame, past the fuel tank. Maybe a fitting joining tow lines together? Where are you seeing the puddle of brake fluid? What is above the puddle?

Thanks for the response, Dave. The puddle is forming just below the gas tank, that's why I brought that up. I'll have to look at it closer tomorrow, but I was hoping that someone had been in there before and could tell me where there might be a fitting or other possible source for the leak. I guess I'll be digging in it myself, but that's no big deal.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your leak. We don't use the term "gas" here on the diesel site. "Fuel" is a much more preferred term.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Dave. The puddle is forming just below the gas tank, that's why I brought that up. I'll have to look at it closer tomorrow, but I was hoping that someone had been in there before and could tell me where there might be a fitting or other possible source for the leak. I guess I'll be digging in it myself, but that's no big deal.

You will need to replace the section of line that goes behind the fuel tank. This is a very common failure on Ford trucks.

You can drop the tank for more room, or just snake a new section behind the tank.. Fun either way.:cussing:

03F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your leak. We don't use the term "gas" here on the diesel site. "Fuel" is a much more preferred term.

Touche'... this is my first diesel, but we just picked up a 2013 Jetta TDI so I'm getting better with the diesel references instead of saying "gas" all the time.

You will need to replace the section of line that goes behind the fuel tank. This is a very common failure on Ford trucks.

You can drop the tank for more room, or just snake a new section behind the tank.. Fun either way.:cussing:

Eh, I just took the easy route and let Midas do it. Found a coupon for free comprehensive brake inspection so I figured I'd let them find the leak anyway. After they did, I was happy with the quote so I told them to knock themselves out. :)

It should be fixed and I'll pick it up on Tuesday.

Thanks everyone.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Touche'... this is my first diesel, but we just picked up a 2013 Jetta TDI so I'm getting better with the diesel references instead of saying "gas" all the time.

Eh, I just took the easy route and let Midas do it. Found a coupon for free comprehensive brake inspection so I figured I'd let them find the leak anyway. After they did, I was happy with the quote so I told them to knock themselves out. :)

It should be fixed and I'll pick it up on Tuesday.

Thanks everyone.

You cheated and took the easy way out. :lmao:lmao ;tu;tu

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You live in a snow belt area, corrosion is probably the culprit. I am in process of replacing all lines feeding the rear wheels. My pedal went down to the floor and a puddle of brake fluid collected under the truck. Anyway, a complete inspection on all lines revealed the following: front brake lines shows no corrosion, but the rears are shot. So, I been bending, double flairing, installing new lines for the rear all week. I also replaced all the rubber hoses at all four corners of the truck. I figured the truck is up on jack stands, time to replace 13.5 year old hoses. I am taking me time, double checking my work as I go.

My theory is the rear lines are subject to sand, road salt which leads to the corrosion. The front lines are more protected from the road salt.

Hopes this helps.

Butch Cassidy

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64