Help Needed At a crossroads..

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Ok.. I've had Mighty Whitey for 10 years now.
Had 40k on it when I got it, now, it's closing in on 200k

The wheel arches are gone, rt side of bed has big dent in it from when someone backed into it at Fair that I never fixed..
Rocker panel on the driver side no longer supports the running board..
Underside of the bed is quite rotted..

It needs a set of injectors, and the chip re-burnt,, maybe a new IDM...

Driveline is fine, trans got rebuilt at 140k, I did the rear diff and driveshaft last year, front shaft when the trans was out..
Needs ball joints again and the axle tubes re-sealed, maybe a front hub unit..

KBB's at $7,500.

You see where thi is going. I foresee putting as much in it as it is worth, and still only having a $7,500 truck when I'm done..

Flip side is, unless I go 6.4 or 6.7, I'd still be putting $7,500 into a replacement for the upgrades it would need to be as reliable ad the 7.3 (IMO), and I DO NOT have the scratch for a late-model truck..

Any and all input accepted with thanks in advance..

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it's time to "jack it up and slide a new(er) one under it". The new ones are sooo expensive, but if I were you I'd probably look for a good 2012. 2011 being the first year might have some "bugs" and 2013's aren't going to be much cheaper than a 2014. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a shame you could not get a glider kit from ford. In case some don't know the big truck companies like KW, Pete. Would sell you a new truck frame and cab on front wheels then you pull your motor and drivetrain off and reinstall them on the new frame. Then you had a new truck. There's a little more to it, but you get the idea.

Thinking about it that would be a hell of a company to start up.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
JL, I was somewhat at the same crossroad as you were, albeit my truck was nowhere near as used. It was worth around $9-10,000 and needed a solid $3,000k worth of work (ball joints, brakes, tranny was starting to run a little hot, had to remove the shims on the A/C...the list goes on)

Seeing as though I had replaced the turbo and injectors, done some front end work, had done all i could to keep the tranny happy, I felt like it was cost prohibitive to sink more money into it becuase the value wasnt going to go up and with a truck that's got 170k+ on it, things will continue to happen. It's my only vehicle and I didnt want to have to start worrying about it taking a dump on me on the side of the road due to a water pump, alternator (both of which had never been replaced) going out.

I've said it once and I'll say it again...I could not be happier with the decision I made. It sucked to see the ole 7.3 go, but I have been nothing but impressed with the 6.7. I really believe that Ford is on to something good here. I think my 2011 is a Job 2 or Job 3 build (build date is 6/11 and they started rolling them out in 4/10) and I've had no major trouble with it at all. It pulls better (the exhaust braking is awesome), rides better, gets better mileage and is just overall a more comfortable truck than the '02.

I would think you could easily find an '11 or '12 out there with under 50k miles thats in great shape to be your new "mighty whitey"

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Jourdan said JL.

I was in the same basic boat with my 2K "'Ol Whitey". Got this >left over< 2012 6.7, loaded.. for a Very good price.. Never been happier. Ford IS on to something here.

Joe

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a shame you could not get a glider kit from ford. In case some don't know the big truck companies like KW, Pete. Would sell you a new truck frame and cab on front wheels then you pull your motor and drivetrain off and reinstall them on the new frame. Then you had a new truck. There's a little more to it, but you get the idea.

[Thinking about it that would be a hell of a company to start up.]

Ain't that the truth !

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I have a hard time recommending repairs on old 7.3L's any more, especially ones that have lived in the salt belt for a while. I suppose you come out better doing your own work, but some of us get tired of that too.
On a side note, I love the 6.7L and the truck in general. Seriously considering trading up to a '15 in the fall. 440 hp! :innocent

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting with your 6.7's? I've heard they're better than the 6.0 and 6.4. My 02 7.3 got 16+ city/highway and up to 21 highway. I rarely loaded it or towed with it and tried to keep the rpm's under 2000. Would love to get a 6.7, but will drive the 150 awhile longer as I plan to pay it off soon.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
OK.. that's made up my mind..
I'll keep doing the minor repairs (safety, etc).. dump the cab mounted longboards for a set of frame mounted tubes..
invest in a pair of wheel arch panels, weld them in and prime it.. spot spray it with cheap enamel rather than pearl coat.. buff the rest of the paint out rather than an overall refinish..
or maybe do a steel flatbed like a PJ or a Hillsboro.. the hitch is a turnover ball, so I could retain that, plus I could actually use the truck to haul hay..
do a Swamps IDM to increase the voltage to the injectors..

then, when I finally get out from underneath that albatross rental house I have, yank the trigger on a newer truck..
by then the resale prices on 6.7's or 6.2 gassers (was toying with that idea anyway) should be down to the point I can actually afford one..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58