oil

condonse

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 2013 6.7 diesel calls for 10/30 as the first choice of oil that covers the largest range of temperatures. I usually use amsoil oil in my vehicles. They only make the oem blend of oil in 10/30 so I was wondering if it would make much difference to use the 15/40 that seems to be the most common diesel oil so I can use full synthetic? The 15/40 temperature starts at 20f, I live in VA where it does get in the teens and rarely gets into single digits. I would say I would probably use the truck in less than 20 degrees f maybe twice per year. I know this seems simple but I like full synthetic oil and it seems to me that the better oil I use can only benefit me in the long run.

Sonny

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would try 5W 40 synthetic oil. Starts better in the cold areas and still has great hot protection. I have been running Rotella T 5W 40 for 9 years in my truck.

Dave ;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try 5W 40 synthetic oil. Starts better in the cold areas and still has great hot protection. I have been running Rotella T 5W 40 for 9 years in my truck.

Dave ;tu

What Dave said.

I've been running Rotella T6, 5w40 Full Synthetic in my 6.7 since the first oil change.

Ran it in my 2K for 10 years and 200K miles.

Good Stuff, IMO.

Joe

NJsix7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Rotella T6 here and a Wix filter. I get the typewriter sound for about 500 miles then it goes away

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you guys going the full 7500 or 10k miles (can't remember what the owners manual said) between oil changes? I remember reading somewhere to change it at 5k because of the regen, but that may have been for the 6.4.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Now I don't drive my truck a lot (retired) so I change the oil every 5,000 miles, but 7500 with a good Synthetic oil is good. Syn oil lasts a lot longer than regular oil.

Dave ;tu

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is my daily/family hauler. It must've been the 6.4 I was reading about as far as cutting the oil change interval change short. I remember reading something about the extra fuel getting into the oil.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change my 6.0 on 5000 miles, I also am retired but it gets a few miles put on it. Cobra, I think you said this is your first
Diesel and your going to love it for the power when pulling your boat. Be sure to use only Motorcraft oil and fuel filters on
your new truck, it will think you.
Doug

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change my 6.0 on 5000 miles, I also am retired but it gets a few miles put on it. Cobra, I think you said this is your first
Diesel and your going to love it for the power when pulling your boat. Be sure to use only Motorcraft oil and fuel filters on
your new truck, it will think you.
Doug
You are correct, this is my first diesel. I use Motorcraft oil in everything we have. Even the boat has Motorcraft in it. I'm just wanting to get the maintenance right so it lasts a long time. I'm planning on keeping this one for a very long time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr