Gear Selector Out of Adjustment

g13davis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alright Here goes with my 1st post here on the Forum. Hopefully someone can help with an answer, or direct me to a previous post that may be helpful.
I have a 1995 Extended Cab F250 XLT Powerstroke 4x4. I have been having trouble for some time now with it being difficult to start @ times, and getting it in the right gear was not right. When the starting problem would happen i noticed if I pulled the Gear Selector Arm towards Park that it would crank. So I started looking on this site, and found a thread dealing with the lever that connects the Selector Arm to the cable. The ( 2 ) Torx screws in the lever WERE loose, and once I tightened them the Selector tightened up Great, and it has started Every time since. The problem I have now is that it doesn't go all the way into 1st gear, and from Neutral down toward 1st gear the Selector Locations seem to be off a little more each location.
Where do I adjust this , At Transmission linkage , or Where ?
Thanks in Advance for any information, or maybe someone can direct me to a thread relating to my problem.

Thanks Again

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
Whats off? The indicator needle or shift lever?

Is the shifter sloppy?the tube that runs down the column has two clamps with plastic bushings that hold it to the column.these bushings wear out.the tube is also known to break in the middle.you can get this tube after aftermarket.

g13davis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Actually both are off. For instance when you put the Truck in Reverse the indicator needle is a little to the right of the mark. then each location to the right N D 2 1 it seems to get worse, and doesnt seem to have enough travel to get into
1st gear. Before I tightened the ( 2 ) Torx screws that connect the shift lever bracket to the cable it was sloppy, but would engage All the gears. Now the shift lever is tight like when the truck was new, and cranks every time, but the amount of travel in the cable seems to be off.

Greg

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
Ok remove the bottom dash panel under the column.now look at the right side of the column near where the black plastic cover ends.you will see a liitle white plastic bracket with a little cable going through it,hooked to a lever that is part of the shift tube.there is a thumb nut that adjusts this cable.

When you find what i told you to look for.put ebrake on or block wheels.put truck in neutral and adjust that cable till youre happy with the indicator.no matter how much you adjust it,it will never be perfect,wasnt perfect when new

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;tu;tu THANKS RICH, for that Very Informative.. "How To" reply ;tu;tu

(Sure wish we had that [Thank You] button feature back)

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr