Help Needed 09 6.4L Just quit on me keeps blowing fuse number 74

Mononbuff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Freezing and couldn't be more aggravated fuse #74 keeps blowing and truck wont start. please any input would be greatly appreciated.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you happen to know what all fuse # 74 runs? I do not have a 6.4 truck, but I know on some of the older trucks, the Fuel Heater and the IDM were on the same fuse. The heater would short out, blow the fuse, and the truck wouldn't start or run. This is just an example of what might be happening where 2 unrelated things are actually connect via a power circuit.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did a quick google search, and it looks like Under Hood Fuse #74 runs the ECM.

I found a post on another forum stating:

The most likely cause is the high pressure fuel pump wiring under the pump cover. See THIS ARTICLE for more details. The components listed in the article are also on the same circuit... you could try disconnecting them all to see if the grounded or over loaded circuit condition is eliminated. If you disconnect them all and a new fuse still blows then it is the pump wiring.

There were several replies to in that thread, and each said they had the exact same issue. It was the wiring harness for the High Pressure Fuel pump was the issue. There was also a comment that it was covered under the 5 Year/ 100,000 Mile Warranty. Depending on when it was bought new, your might just squeak in on the warranty.

Hope this helps!!!

Referenced post came from the Diesel Stop

Mononbuff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know, if it is in-fact just a chaffed wire. I should be able to simply repair that wire correct? I do know to replace the wiring harness that the cab has to be removed, but am I able to get to the problem chaffed wire without removing the cab?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can identify the wire and the area where it's chaffed/corroded, [and can get to it]... I'd cut it, clean it up and repair it. Then do what needs to be done to keep it from chaffing/corroding again.

Maybe give those Boss plugs a good inspection ?

Maybe FORD has a TSB on it ?

But.. it sounds to me like.. as Scott sez.. It >MIGHT< be covered under Warranty ??????

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58