2012 Tail Gate was stolen

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I start please remember to lock your tail gate.

So that being said the other morning I walk out to the truck and something looked odd and bam. There it is... my tailgate is gone and the camera cord is cut right off. The wife is always giving me a hard time about locking the tailgate but I never give it a second thought. I just got the estimate and its going to cost 3500 to replace and paint a new gate.

So here is my question. Since the cable was cut how much of the connecter will I need to replace. I know there is a plug on the camera side but is there one on the truck side so I do not have to replace the whole loom. and question 2 is when did Ford change the design and add an additional crease at the top of the tail gate 2014 or 2015.

Thank you all in advance.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low Life B*stards !!!

Did they cut the wire before.. or after the connector that's under the bed ? A new tailgate will come with the male plug end.

Also.. there are various after-market Tailgate Locks available that wrap around the right side hinge pin.. won't make the New one bullet proof.. but the B*stards would need more TIME and TOOLS to rip it off (mine). IMO, TIME.. tends to spoil a Low Life's plans ?

Don't know when Ford added the crease,

Joe

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I was looking for tailgate locks when I just my 2004. I found nothing, so I use the key lock on the tailgate and I am in the habit of locking it every time I close the tail gate; close and lock!

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking for tailgate locks when I just my 2004. I found nothing, so I use the key lock on the tailgate and I am in the habit of locking it every time I close the tail gate; close and lock!

Dave

I've seen them at Pep Boys, A-Z and the like Dave.. Amazon.com too ? :dunno

Joe

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $82 with some work and wiring, you can tap into your Auto door locks with a kit from Amazon.com

OEM pn BHKNPL8250

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to top....i don't understand how a tailgate can cost $3500? My truck might be worth 2x that? Heck, the 100 gal diesel tank under the cover doesn't hold $3500 after 10 fills. How can a tailgate cost that much?

(Of course, I also don't understand how somebody could steal it either)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to top....i don't understand how a tailgate can cost $3500? My truck might be worth 2x that? Heck, the 100 gal diesel tank under the cover doesn't hold $3500 after 10 fills. How can a tailgate cost that much?

(Of course, I also don't understand how somebody could steal it either)

My local Body Shop guy gave me the same price/quote, + or - Rich. Mainly because of the Camera & Step features, and with prep & paint. And to a certain age of the vehicle.. ALL the parts Have To Be OEM.. No Off-shore/Aftermarket body parts allowed. (Per most Insurance Company's)

Joe

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch!!! I guess the camera and step add costs (didn't know the camera was in the tailgate!?). And yeah, prep & paint for sure adds fast. But I'm still stunned...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64