Setting off Check engine light when under load

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 01 7.3 with a superchips programmer, 165k. I recently started noticing when under a pulling load or heavy excelleration the check engine light will come on and read the following codes. IMG_0246[1].JPGIMG_0245[1].JPGIMG_0244[1].JPGIMG_0243[1].JPG

I wouldnt say they all come on at the same times, but they are all frequent. I also notice a flat spot in excelleration, alsmost like a top end bog. Any ideas on where to start would be great.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fer starters.....The MAP sensor is detecting Over Boost, putting the PCM into a De-fuel mode (the flat spot) and setting the CEL & Code.. You need a BPRV (Boost Pressure Relief Valve) between the "Y" pipe and the MAP sensor. And a Better than OEM.. Waste gate controller

If you don't have one. If you do.. it's not working right.

Got Gauges ??

Joe

Last edited:

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
These codes also have been coming up when the programer is in stock mode, where as I havent had any CEL in previous years. Makes me wonder if I have a waste gate controller problem, in which it is stock. As far as a BPRV I have not put one on the truck since I purchased it 8 years ago. Can you give me some direction on where to find a BPRV and a better waste gate controller?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These codes also have been coming up when the programer is in stock mode, where as I havent had any CEL in previous years. Makes me wonder if I have a waste gate controller problem, in which it is stock. As far as a BPRV I have not put one on the truck since I purchased it 8 years ago. Can you give me some direction on where to find a BPRV and a better waste gate controller?

Most any of the SDD site sponsors will have 7.3 BPRV's.. and aftermarket WG controllers. dieselsite.com comes to mind.

Check your vac lines running from the MAP to the WG & intake snorkel for cracks, leaks and dried/old ?

Stock or on a Tune..Once those Codes are set in the KAM, or elsewhere.. your 7.3 is in a de-fuel mode.. until you erase them Completely. Yul be down on power due to fuel pressure being decreased. May be a "Duh" to ya but worth a mention ?

Got Gauges ? Stock turbo wheel ?

Joe

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. I ussauly end up clearing the codes a few times a week. I will check the vac lines also. I do not have gauges and i have the stock turbo wheel.

On another note, my transmission cooler started leaking on me today. Do you recommend installing the 6.0 cooler, if so where may be the best place to get one.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about best price on one but I think they work great on a 7.3 and not that hard to insteal.
Doug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64