New in this forum

pnyglfr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just trade in my Nissan Titan for a 2005 F250 Crew Cab XLT with only 39000 miles on it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440452435.475893.jpg. Great truck to pull my new 26 ft travel trailer.

Pnyglfr

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WELCOME ABOARD SDD.COM !!

Your F-250 will do a real good job of pulling a 26 footer.

First Diesel ?

Joe

pnyglfr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Big Joe, yes, it's a turbo diesel. I was a little worried about Ford truck 05 F250. I've been researching online and I found a lot of negative stuff about the 6.0L, but with the really low miles and I got an extended warranty, I should be good. What's your thoughts?

Pnyglfr

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Welcome Pnyglfr . Yes there are a lot of "problems" with the 6.0. Most of these problems are from people who don't own a 6.0. All vehicles have their own troubles. The 6.0 was supposed to have 6 head bolts per cylinder, but that did not happen and we have 5 bolts per cylinder. This can cause head gasket blowing problems if you add tuners without taking this into consideration. Head Studs will cure these head gasket problems. I have owned my truck since new and I have NOT had any problems with head gaskets, I do NOT run a tuner. Stock it good enough for me. I gave up racing when I turned 50, over 16 years ago. I have known Big Joe for many years and we seem to share the same thoughts in general. :thumbs

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 has gotten a lot of bad press. We only hear about the one(s) with issues. Many, many 6.0 owners on here have had many miles, and years of service from a 6.0. Yes, that motor has some things that need attention... but with >Good Proper Maintenance<... and Sites like this... you have a TON of knowledge to draw from, as you get to know your.. 6.0.

Being it's your first Diesel... DON'T be shy about asking questions. THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS HERE.

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, glad you found us. My 06, 6.0 pulls a 16500 LB fifth wheel and has for 10 years now. I have gage's and a 4 in Turbo back exhaust.
THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS HERE, so ask away and come back often. I like your blue truck.
Doug

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome,

I have an 03 6.0 and love it. Like said above, take care of it and it will take care of you. Proper Routine Maintenance is a MUST. I go 5000 on oil and oil filter, and 10,000 on fuel filters. Use ONLY RACOR, IH (Navistar) or Motorcraft filters and a Hi Quality Full Synthetic Oil. Currently I am running a set of Fleetguard filters (Cummins) but personally verified by the markings on the filters they are indeed the exact same as OEM... (IH and Motorcraft and these Fleetguards are made by RACOR). and use Chevron DELO 5w-50 Full Synthetic Oil. Also, I highly recommend NO TUNERS!!!! I don't run one, and in 100,000 miles and 8+ years I haven't felt the need for one. I am in the same boat as many above and still have the factory head gaskets, turbo other "you will have to replace" (as professed in other places) and just rolled over 154,000 miles. I do recommend, if you live in a place that you can "get by with it" (no emissions testing) to do an EGR Delete. I did one on mine, because one of the external supply hose leak, my cooler DID NOT FAIL. This one change has taken so much unnecessary heat out of the cooling system it's amazing.....

Show the truck some love, and it will treat you right...... DON'T SKIMP ON MAINTENANCE!!!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome,

I have an 03 6.0 and love it. Like said above, take care of it and it will take care of you. Proper Routine Maintenance is a MUST. I go 5000 on oil and oil filter, and 10,000 on fuel filters. Use ONLY RACOR, IH (Navistar) or Motorcraft filters and a Hi Quality Full Synthetic Oil. Currently I am running a set of Fleetguard filters (Cummins) but personally verified by the markings on the filters they are indeed the exact same as OEM... (IH and Motorcraft and these Fleetguards are made by RACOR). and use Chevron DELO 5w-50 Full Synthetic Oil. Also, I highly recommend NO TUNERS!!!! I don't run one, and in 100,000 miles and 8+ years I haven't felt the need for one. I am in the same boat as many above and still have the factory head gaskets, turbo other "you will have to replace" (as professed in other places) and just rolled over 154,000 miles. I do recommend, if you live in a place that you can "get by with it" (no emissions testing) to do an EGR Delete. I did one on mine, because one of the external supply hose leak, my cooler DID NOT FAIL. This one change has taken so much unnecessary heat out of the cooling system it's amazing.....

Show the truck some love, and it will treat you right...... DON'T SKIMP ON MAINTENANCE!!!!

Sez it ALL... Right There pnyglfr.

Joe

pnyglfr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise snicklas. Believe me she will be taken care with maintenance.

Pnyglfr

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track