Rear spring sag

Seaduck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the rear of my truck toady and notice one side seemed to be lower that the other. After doing a lot of measuring I discovered that the right side is about 1 1/4" lower than the left. After more measuring I appears the leaf springs are the issue. When I did some research I couldn't find anything like what I have. Mine are a 2 plus 1 rear leaf setup. Is this stock from factory/ Seems kind of light to me for a 2013 F250 diesel. Should I order new leafs for both sides or just the one? Most of the springs I found on the web were 4 or 5 plus 1 leaf packs. Please advise!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is entirely your choice as to what spring packs you choose. You can add air bags and increase the air pressure in the low side if you are looking for a cheaper route. If you decide to replace the rear springs do BOTH springs at the same time!

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you buy this truck used, if so maybe the last owner took some leafs out so it would ride better.
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you buy this truck used, if so maybe the last owner took some leafs out so it would ride better.
Doug

X2.. 2+1 doesn't sound right for a F-250. Check with Ford ?

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think Doug and Joe are right. Your rear springs have been modified by taking out a number of leafs to make the ride smoother. As Joe said, check with Ford.

Dave :dunno

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree the same here.....

My Excursion (which is the equivalent to an F-250) has I believe 5 leaves. I remember looking at this a few days ago after seen an older Dodge Dually and noted it only had 3 leaves I think.......

Something has been done to those springs..... which also means you cargo capacity and trailer capacity has been reduced...... I would say they are sagging because the leaves that are left are getting "tired" because of the increased load they are seeing..... I would say talk to Ford or a good Suspension Specialty Shop. Where I am from originally in Illinois, we have a place called Burke Spring Shop: http://www.burkespring.com/ to give you an idea of what I am talking about. They do normal repairs now, but for decades they did Big Truck suspensions....... I have several friends that are farmers and/or truck drivers..... when anything below the frame rails needs repaired, it gets taken to Burke Spring...... PERIOD...... they will go there before they would take it to the dealer......

I would be very "easy" on the truck until I found out what you have going on....... One thing to keep in mind..... when it is "fixed" it will more than likely ride rougher than it does now....... just something to keep in mind.... I know my Excursion rides pretty good..... but it is definitely a truck, that has a full body with seats, not an "SUV" like an Expedition that is just a big station wagon..........

Seaduck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes I did buy this truck used. I wish I had checked things out a bit better. I already miss my 2002 7.3. It was a great truck and yes it had a lot more leafs in the rear. Guess I'm going to spend some more money. Since I bought it I have found several things that have been a negative. So much for an honest ford dealer. They have been giving me no help with any of my issues. If it were not so far back to it I'd probably have taken it back the first week......Lesson learned!!
Thanks for the replies folks

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New springs from Rockauto.com are $418, you can check others out for price.
Doug

Seaduck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I went by the local dealer last week and looked at the different options on the new F250's rear springs. They all were like mine. 2 plus 1. My old 2002 had several leafs. Seem's kinda light to me but I guess this is to improve ride. See how they handle when I get loaded up in a few weeks.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
All of my past trucks had more springs than my 2004 F-350. This one will carry a load. I have done it many times.

Dave

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr