2001 7.3 no start!

FINKSTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK 7.3 fans... I need some suggestions. I have a pristine 2001 dually that won't start. Since I use it to pull my fifth wheel camper, I added some new suspension and brake components. Also added a Banks Powerpack system, 6.0 trans cooler and a coolant filter. And as long as I had much of the front disassembled, I thought I'd also do a thorough cleaning, change the engine oil, trans fluid, brake fluid and coolant. To make the engine compartment easier to clean, I removed the main harness as well as many other parts. Being an engineer and used to doing this kind of thing, I labeled everything and am "confident" that everything is back where it should be. Also added 2 new batteries. Today I tried to start it. No go. Everything else seems to work fine. I've rechecked all the connectors, grounds, fuel flow etc. All seem good. I plan to call the tech guys - maybe they have some suggestions. Anybody have any suggestions??? It's driving me NUTS!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Scan it to see why the truck thinks it won't start. Any thing else is guessing. You can get a decent scanner at most good auto parts stores. Good Luck!

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on what Dave said, good luck and please come back and tell us what it was.
Doug

FINKSTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen,
As you suggested, I hooked up my scanner and it read "no codes recorded" but also showed P0603 and P0605. Nogthing else. I understand that the first code is typical anytime a performance chip is added - which my Banks system has. Otherwise I'm stumped. I should have added earlier that everything else seems ok and the engine cranks fine. I have checked every connector I can find and looked for places where a wire might have been damaged - so far nothing obvious. All that said, I have another question... In the course of looking at the wires, I noticed that there are 2 large eyelets (each crimped to 2 fusable link gray wires) connected to the positive lug on the starter relay. Can anyone confirm that both should be on the positive lug, or should one be on the positive and one on the negative? ANY suggestions will be appreciated! I'll be talking to the Banks tech boys soon.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Leave both Crimped wire along. They are where they are supposed to go. You never put a fuse link in a ground.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
P0605 - Internal Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM) Error. This may mean the ECM needs to be replaced. I am not an expert with ECMs. Maybe some one else will chime in.

Dave :dunno

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave,or Joe. You think this might be a CPS on his 7.3? They do crazy things and he did wash the engine down.
Doug

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Oil pressure sensor maybe. I have never heard of the Fuel Pressure sensor causing any problems. In fact I have never heard of a fuel pressure sensor on a 7.3. You do need a certain oil pressure before the ECM fires the injectors. In a 6.0 you need 500 psi, but I don't know about the 7.3 oil pressure.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr