Looking for Feedback

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
Long story short, I got what I paid for. I couldn't afFORD it last year so I RAMmed it. Today I made the call to start a buyback claim on the 2014 RAM 2500 diesel I bought new last year. Between the recalls and software updates, the check engine lights, a burned out cat at 7,700 miles and a number of ongoing issues, I'm just DONE with it.

How are the new Fords holding up over time? How many software updates/re-calibrations is Ford putting out? Is going to a dealer for a new re-programming every month or two the norm for all the new trucks, or is it just RAM? If all the new trucks are the same, then I might reconsider my claim. I just can't imagine that guys would keep shelling out $50-70,000 for new trucks if they all take as many trips to the dealer as mine has. I'm trying to figure out what I should do, and if it's worth the fight to shove my piece-of-truck up RAM's tailpipe and scrounge the extra $$$ for a new Ford or keep trying to get RAM to keep fixing the problems...

Thanks!

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still fairly new to owning a super duty. I bought mine the end of July and have about 2800 miles on it so far. I did have to take it in to the dealer a couple weeks ago because of the check engine light. It turned out to be a bad sensor and was fixed in a couple of days. Other than that it's been trouble free. And I drive it seven days a week.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about yer RAM troubles.

My 012 6.7, @ 34K and 2.8 years, is One Fine truck so far. Not one Warranty issue from the day I drove it off the lot..

One recall for a DPF sensor upgrade... that's it.

Does a Super job of doing anything I've asked of it. We do lots of towing (12K 5r) and it's my daily Driver. One pull'n, haul'n S.O.G.

:dunno

Joe

F350SPRDTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 F350 Platinum Diesel that has 8,000 miles spent most of the time hauling a 15,900 lb 39ft fifth wheel and haven't had an issue. No recalls, no software upgrades, no warranty issues whatsoever. Truck runs like a top even after 3500 mile round trip hauling to the east coast and back. Loving the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

702GT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2013 F-250 XLT from Ford in Billings, MT this last June. It used to be a rental truck out in PA somewhere. Had 39,000 miles on the clock when I drove it off the lot. Has 45,000 now. Only thing I've done is changed the oil (Motorcraft 10w30 SD & Filter), fuel filter set (motorcraft) and air filter (motorcraft). No CEL's just an annoying TPMS light because I run my tires at 60psi unloaded. Trying to find a dealer that will reprogram my tpms threshold to 50psi but no dice so far. I blame california. They will be the end of diesel trucks and the american way in general.

The #1 big issue I have heard with the Scorpion Super Duty is the turbo and some PCM issues with the early Scorpion's (11-12). In 11-12 models the original power output was rated something like 380hp/760tq, cummins/duramax matched ford on par, ford didn't care for it and issued a power increase via tune, hence the 13+ now is rated 400hp/800tq. The flash for the 11-12 had other tweaks that some pcm's didn't care for, resulting in minor drivability issues like rugged shifting and idle hunting. Ford has since ironed these issues out.

As far as the 11-12 turbo goes, that is stuff of nightmares. Some genius at Ford spec'd a ceramic ball bearing turbo for the original production Scorpion. So the 11-12's that saw hardcore action (doing real work) were cooking these ceramic bearings. Turbo replacement on the 11+ SDD is an absolute nightmare, $5-6,000 job at a dealer, for a $500 turbo. I worry my 13 may have this turbo, but I have yet to figure out the production date they changed the turbo.

As far as your Ram, sounds like you got a lemon. Most of the Ram owners I've talked to love their new trucks and claim to have no issues. Personally, I feel the majority of people that have the most issues with their vehicles (of any brand/model) are the ones that keep taking them to dealer mechanics. It's like a felony arrest. Once you're in the system, you never get out. I have a '08 Mustang GT with a Procharger, it has never seen a dealer mechanic or been in for TSB's. 67,000 miles never a major issue. But I'm still young enough to do all the work myself, so it isn't for everyone I guess!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64