Check Coolant Additive Warning.....

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
What triggers the Check Coolant Additive light?

Does a sensor measure its concentration or is it triggered by hours/mileage?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What triggers the Check Coolant Additive light?

Does a sensor measure its concentration or is it triggered by hours/mileage?

Triggered by Miles/Hours T.. no sensor. Mine came on at 12K (irc) .. had Ford check it.. all was good.. they reset it.. kept on truck'n.

702GT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I copied this from ford trucks forum. The message should appear every 600 hours of operation.

From: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1064454-check-coolant-additive.html

You clear in in the INFO screen. Should tell you how to in the owners manual.

Also, here is how to test your coolant:

1st. Check for the presence of nitrates in your coolant (There should be none) with Rotunda test kit number 328-00001. If there is, you have to flush and refill.

2nd. Check the percent of glycol in the coolant. use the same rotunda kit for this as well. Should be between 40-60%. If this is not the case, you have the flush the cooling system.

3rd. Check the Reverse Coolant Alkalinity. You need Rotunda test kit number 328-00008.*
If its low, you must add some stuff included with the kit, if its high, you add another stuff to the coolant. If its ok, move to next step.

4th. Check coolant corrosion ability. You need rotunda kit number 328-00008, which is the same as last. Follow the instructions included in the kit. If it does not pass, then you have to add a bottle of*revitalizer. Ford part number vc-12. Otherwise your coolant is good to go.*

WOW. I would charge $75 for this too.*

Link to supplies
https://rotunda.spx.com/en-US/Pages/...x?itemID=16878
https://rotunda.spx.com/en-US/Pages/...x?itemID=22023

It should also be noted, those without the 4.2" LCD fancy screen will not get a service warning for checking coolant. Follow your maintenance schedule to stay on top of it. $70 is worth the ability to test your coolant for years to come.

Last edited:

NickPic83

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Great post 702GT, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

702GT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Too bad SDD isn't very active compared to other forums. I had to search off-site for in depth coverage on the subject. :(

JRJ04

Reaction score
Really seems to be the case, which is sad. I really enjoyed the "small" feeling this place had and the community aspect of it. Certainly learned a lot from some pretty stellar folks on here. I think it maybe is because a lot of us have upgraded to new(er) rigs that we just can't tweak as much. I still check this website at least once a day, but it sure isnt as active as it used to be :dunno

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's probably more people like me. I tend to lurk and read a lot. I don't know a whole lot about these trucks so I can't offer much advice. And since my truck is newer I'm hoping I don't have to dive under the hood anytime soon.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The lack of participation is not just here. It is at at least two other diesel forums that I am a member to. Forums seem to be going way of the land line. :dunno

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64