aFe Dry Filters

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... are worth a look see ?

I have two, change them out in Jan & June (or when needed).

Vacuum off the Big Chunks & Bugs... then a drop or three of Dawn in the deep sink with warm water.. let it float'n soak over-nite.. let gravity do it's thing.. back flush.. let it air dry.. pack it up in a plastic bag for the next go-round. Done Deal.

It's purdy darn amazing when you see the Fine powdery silt and grit yul git after the soaking... in the bottom of the sink.. even though the Filter Minder didn't indicate anything.

My Intake Plenum was/is Squeaky clean too.

Other filter brands are out there... but I'm sold on aFe. ;tu;tu

FWIW :dunno

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the dry filter. Easier to maintain. I was planning on getting one when I need to replace the filter.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I am running a AEM dryflow filter on my new superduty and it seems to be working well so far.

702GT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There has always been a rigid divide in filter choices when it comes to diesel owners. My opinion is this. I personally don't drive my truck hard enough to warrant a need for an increase in CFM beyond what an OEM filter can provide. Seeing as in my case, a 6.7 crate motor is in the realm of $12-17k, I can't afford to have Ford tell me the reason they won't pony up is because of a few hundred dollar aftermarket air filter. On the street, an aftermarket filter will not provide a fuel economy increase worth mentioning. Under the most extreme of dust/dirt conditions, an OEM filter out performs aftermarket in filtration protection. In peak power on a dyno, an aftermarket filter's gains are marginal compared to gains from other modifications such as exhaust, tunes, and turbo kits.

I have yet to find a good reason to use any other filter besides OEM or OEM equivalent. (I say equivalent because there is an AC Delco filter that out-performs the motorcraft in an extreme dust/dirt filtration test. It took longer to fail than the motorcraft, and caught more particulates. This was, however, an extreme performance test.)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I can't afford to have Ford tell me the reason they won't pony up is because of a few hundred dollar aftermarket air filter. On the street, an aftermarket filter will not provide a fuel economy increase worth mentioning. Under the most extreme of dust/dirt conditions, an OEM filter out performs aftermarket in filtration protection. In peak power on a dyno, an aftermarket filter's gains are marginal compared to gains from other modifications such as exhaust, tunes, and turbo kits.

I have yet to find a good reason to use any other filter besides OEM or OEM equivalent. (I say equivalent because there is an AC Delco filter that out-performs the motorcraft in an extreme dust/dirt filtration test. It took longer to fail than the motorcraft, and caught more particulates. This was, however, an extreme performance test.)

In general, I completely agree with you. Stock if almost the best for everyday driving. You can get more power out of a filter that flows more air, but that is with the cost of less filtration.

Dave ;tu

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except the leaky obs filters. I bet the 6637 is filtering twice as good.
But I do have a stock filter from a 6.4 I'm going to swap for better filtration.

Sent from my *******-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run an aFe "dry" filter for years in my '02. Love it!

Like Joe said its crazy to see how much stuff comes out in the wash. I use the aFe branded cleaner and oil on my filter, and I put a "sock" that they also sell over the filter, which is great to let you see the big stuff before it gets stuck into the dry filter. I'd never go back to the stock filter I had but that's just me. In the 8 or 9 years I've run this, I have only bought one new set of cleaner and oil, and one new sock after tearing the first one.

Benefits? Never buy another filter, more flow, more room on that side under the hood for other stuff (CCV filter, Performax gauge 'brain', battery desulphator, ...). The company specifications for the filtering efficiency are better than OEM, and you get more flow with the greater surface area.

Cons? costs money outright (not cheap) and must clean, rather than replace, filters. But maintenance cost is practically nothing.

Just my 2C

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think something to clarify is whether you're using just a drop in filter or a complete CAI. I'm planning on going with just the drop in filter when the time comes.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think something to clarify is whether you're using just a drop in filter or a complete CAI. I'm planning on going with just the drop in filter when the time comes.

Yer right. I use the Dry Drop In's. I could never get a fuzzy about using To Much.. or Not Enough oil. to Each his/her own on that though.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64