Turbo sticking

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd turbo with the last one just rebuilt 20k ago with all the updated parts. Everyone has stuck closed while towing. You can get it unstuck by jabbing on go pedal a few times making it kick down a few
gears. I'm sick of the stock turbo so has anyone tried the Garrett powermax. They are a bolt on and have improvements over stock. I have done the deletes and rerouted the crankcase vent not to run trough the turbo and still have issues. I mainly tow with it and work the turbo so it shouldn't be sticking. Any ideas???

f100cleveland

Reaction score
I have looked at alot of the sales pitches for the GT3788VA but have found out sometimes what they say isn't always the results you get. They make aftermarket compressor wheels for them too and on the 7.3 turbos they cured alot of turbo surge or farts. Hoping someone had first hand real world experience on it if was an improvement. The price isn't much higher than a new stock unit and I need to try something different as the stock thing isn't working for me. I'm don't race it or pull it just want something dependable for towing as thats what its mainly for.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through 4 turbos due to the vanes sticking on the unison ring. The dealer changed those under warranty.

When it happened again after the warranty expired, I took apart the turbo and cleaned the soot off the vanes and unison ring.

I put Permatex nickel anti-seize on the vanes and unison ring. I have not had another issue with the vanes sticking for three years and counting.

FYI, the nickel based anti-seize withstands temps up to 2500 degrees F. If you go past 1800 degrees, your turbo probably would have melted by then.

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Well I just ordered the Garrett GT3788VA turbo. $1124 to my door. This morning it didn't make it's usual whoohing sound a few seconds after startup and I knew it was stuck again. Don't think I had 3000 miles on the last clean job. Cold weather and alot of idleing probabaly had alot to do with it but I also blame it on the bio diesel we have to run. I do get on it often to try and burn stuff out of turbo but hasn't helped. I'll update on any performance or egt changes it makes so for now just waiting for the brown truck to deliver.

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Just got done with the install today. Has a real cool whistle just off idle but then goes away to a little bit more than stock turbo. Has a little more lag than stock but I am running an economy tune right now. Seems like I'm down a lb or 2 on boost cruising at 60 but I'm sure that has something to do with airflow. Wide open throttle gave me 29lbs of boost. I have always seen 25-26 lbs before. No leaks other than blood let during install so time will tell once I get a trailer hooked up for a real test.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr