Driveline clunk???

SDChris

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a driveline clunk, I can only feel it when leaving from a full stop. I have checked all the U joints and they are tight, I had a hub acting up a little so I Replaced it, does anyone have any idea as to what it might be?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a driveline clunk, I can only feel it when leaving from a full stop. I have checked all the U joints and they are tight, I had a hub acting up a little so I Replaced it, does anyone have any idea as to what it might be?

Yep.. Might be yer Slip Joint Splines need to be re-greased.

Drop the rear U-joint, loosen the rubber boot on the other (front) end of the D-shaft.. slide the whole assembly back.. clean and re-grease the splines.. re-install.

See if that fixes it ?

Joe

* Good idea to index (mark) the rear u-joint so yul re-install the d-shaft.. exactly like it came off. (balance issues)

SDChris

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks Big Joe, any special type of grease I should use on it?

SDChris

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
IMG_20140715_195710.jpg

My slip joint is at the top of my drive shaft, so I would disconnect the top Ujoint from the transfercase and losen the clamp from the driveshaft end? the clamp is a crimp style clamp will I be able to reuse that or should i get another OEM clamp for reinstall?

tatt4u

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Lube drive shaft slip joint. Mine had been plasti dipped on the spline and a lot of it had worn off so I cut the rest off. Lube and lots of it.

SDChris

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I took it apart and greased it, helped a little but the splines are pretty worn so I ordered a new driveshaft, that seems premature I only have 28,000 miles on the truck.

Last edited:

tatt4u

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you are running a tune, large tires or have changed your gearing in the rear end. Mine would clunk when pulling off from a stop and sometimes if I stopped hard and let my foot off the brake after stopping. Is this what you feel? Mine was more of a clunk feel not so much of a sound. When I did mine I took a metal brush and brake cleaner to the inside of the drive shaft before lubing. It was nasty! If you have changed gearing or are running a hot tune with bigger tires could be axel wrap.

SDChris

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Non of the above, I do haul the crap out of it, and I pulled a gooseneck trailer a little with it. When I took it apart it was pretty sloppy, and I could see that the splines were worn, it would clunk when I started from a dead stop, and I could hear it clunk when stopping, but it seems very premature to me I would have thought the Ujoints were the weak point I haven't replaced any of those and they are tight and right.

tatt4u

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That is what I felt/heard on mine. 28k is way early IMOP. Mine was plasti dipped for what ever reason and most had worn off, but was still tight, had to beat it apart it was so tight. 28k no warranty ? I was at 129000 before mine did it. Is the carrier bearing good and tight? When you get under it with no tension on the drive line can you push it up and down?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58