A/C problems....now what?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
So guys, i have done the shim fix to correct the air gap on my compressor and it seemed to do the trick last summer. But about a month ago, I noticed it is doing the same thing as before the fix. Starts off cool, then suddenly it blows hot air. Look under the hood when it does this, and the wheel on the outside of the compressor stops spinning. If I rev up the motor, the air gap closes and the wheel spins and I get cool air again. Sometimes for a minute, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes an hour. Does it sound like the compressor is getting weak to you guys? Is replacing the compressor the next step for me? This louisiana heat is killing me, and its getting to the point that I dont even want to put my little ones in the truck it gets so damn hot!

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
If the system cools fine when the compressor clutch is engaged, I'd guess the compressor clutch to be bad, provided the refrigerant charge amount is correct, and the switches and other electrical to the compressor are OK. You can change the compressor clutch without removing the compressor or discharging the system.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
If the system cools fine when the compressor clutch is engaged, I'd guess the compressor clutch to be bad, provided the refrigerant charge amount is correct, and the switches and other electrical to the compressor are OK. You can change the compressor clutch without removing the compressor or discharging the system.

ok. Thanks for the tip Royboy. I am going to check the connections and the relay. I think if I find it's a bad clutch, I will probably just replace the entire compressor along with the dryer and orifice tube. I will be taking the truck to Germany for four years and want to keep the problems to a minimum while I'm there.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
well, connections and relay seem to be fine. as far as quality of compressors go, should I just go with fomoco parts or the local parts house? does anyone have any experience with replacing theirs?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
well, connections and relay seem to be fine. as far as quality of compressors go, should I just go with fomoco parts or the local parts house? does anyone have any experience with replacing theirs?

OEM quality compressors are (usually) great. Chinese and other origin knock offs are worse than the 12 year old compressor you have on there now. If you stick with a genuine OEM compressor you should be fine. You may or may not need to go to the dealer for it.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 with RoyBoy.......

Ye 'ol bottom line ? Yul git what you paid for it ??

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced the compressor on mine this past weekend. Bought one of the kits from Rockauto. Went to autozone to rent the gauges, vacuum and other tools needed. Autozone also has some videos to reference for the basics. Only thing I had a hard time finding was a good flush this did not connect to the ports. Local Western auto had what I wanted. Walmart had the best prices for R134a. Took the day to do it since I'm picky. But she is cold now.

If you need any help or advice, just ask and I will do the best I can to describe what I did.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Dan. If I go the route you did, that will for sure come in handy. After talking to the guy here on base at the Auto hobby shop, and learning a bit about the basics of an A/C system, the option of just replacing my clutch and coil is making more sense to me.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track