Grease Smell Coming From Vents

JRJ04

Reaction score
As the title states, I've got a strong smell of grease (like thick bearing grease, or something you would put on a motor) coming from my vents. Never had this before, can't see any leaks at all. Still getting good condensation and dripping when the A/C is running, A/C is still cooling well etc.

I cannot think of what in the world this could be. It came up the day after i drug a 12,000lb boat around. Truck pulled great...no clue if this is a coincidence or not.

Any ideas?

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Maybe you worked your truck just a little harder and it ran a little warmer than normal so it sucked in some fumes through the fresh air vent causing the odor.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Yea agreed....but wouldn't it be gone by now? This is happening every time i go in and start it. Been over a week now that I towed.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well here's an update...

The smell has continued to persist. Just as strong as ever whether its the A/C or heater going. Yesterday, I tried getting under the dash to get a better look at things. Let's just say, its nowhere near as easy to access the blower in the 2011+ models as it was on my 7.3. On the 7.3, the blower was under the hood up against the fire wall. 3 screws and you could easily pull the entire thing out and inspect. On this one, its up under the dash and pretty much impossible to get out. I got 2 screws out and pulled the blower down partially, couldn't see anything.

Then, I decided to find the drain line for the condenser to see if there were any issues there. Drain line is right up against the fire wall and can be reached by putting my arm through the fender well on the passenger side. I stuck my finger in the line and low and behold...there's a greasy substance in it and the smell is IDENTICAL to what is coming out of my vents.

So, my question...what could be greasy inside the box? This obviously has to be something that is somewhat liquid and has fallen down to the bottom where condensation collects and drains out. Does compressor oil or the refrigerant have this kind of property?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freon has an oily property to it, in it's liquid state.. any warranty left ?? I'd be taking it back to Ford.. or take it to a A/C shop to maybe pin it down that it IS Freon ? Then take it to Ford ?

Joe

IF it is Freon.. there could be some EPA/Hazmat= Ford issues ?

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there some type of lubrication for the electric vacuum pump? Could that be introducing something into the HVAC box area, since there should be some kind of vacuum servos to run the doors? I would think if the A/C is still working properly it shouldn't be a refrigerant leak. If it leaked enough to make a spot in the bottom of the evaporator box, if the A/C had purged into that area, the A/C would not be working, it was just be blowing ambient air, not cooled air.

Just another thought...... the refrigerant, and the vacuum are the only two thinks I could think could introduce some kind of "oil" into that area......

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well I called my dealer yesterday to get his input...since I still have my extended warranty (THANK GOD) I went ahead and took it in. There's definitely some sort of oily substance that has leaked on the frame however it doesn't seem to have made it all the way to the ground. They'll be testing it and I'm sure I'll know today. Sure would be rather irritating to have the entire dash taken off AGAIN since I've already had this replaced once...

JRJ04

Reaction score
As i feared...Evaporator Coil was bad. They evacuated the system, pressure tested and sure enough...it leaked. Pretty much all compressor oil/freon (I'm told its all one in the same) had leaked out. Compressor wouldn't engage and so it was all replaced. No smell now and everything it working like a charm! Thank God for extended warranties...cost me $100. This thing has MORE than paid for itself!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Jourdan. Glad the Warranty picked it up too... minus the $100.. Most any of the "Dash" stuff is Labor in, Labor out stuff.. had a Windstar.. Blend door motor went TU.. $30 dollar part.. $380 in labor !!!! Warranty pick that one up too (after doing battle with'm)

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58