You Gotta Friend In The Transport Business

jeepguy66

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me out with some info??? I have a 2011 F-350 that I'm thinking about leasing on to a company hauling campers, horse trailers, and things like that... My question is, the GVWR on my registration is 14000 and the company is telling me that it must be rated at 26000, How is this possible??? I called the DMV they told me that this is the mfg rating and it cannot be changed. So how is it that all of these F-250's and F350's are doing it???

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can't change the GVWR of your truck. Either use a trailer or a bigger truck. BE CAREFUL when you are looking at these companies!

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know what co your looking at but to get 26,000LB you will have to go to a F-450 or maybe a F-550. I would look at another co to pull for.
I talk to these drivers all the time and never heard one say that they were making any real money at it, but it's a nice way to go see the kids
and grandkids without spending a lot of money on the trip. Do the math, the moneys just not there.
Welcome to the SDD.com, hope you comeback often.
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know what co your looking at but to get 26,000LB you will have to go to a F-450 or maybe a F-550. I would look at another co to pull for.
I talk to these drivers all the time and never heard one say that they were making any real money at it, but it's a nice way to go see the kids
and grandkids without spending a lot of money on the trip. Do the math, the moneys just not there.
Welcome to the SDD.com, hope you comeback often.
Doug

X2 on what Doug said.

I looked into it too.. after the delivery & pickup of some PO RV's. It's basically a Wash, money wize. Unless you have nothing else to do and just want to travel the countrysides.

Better off to "Hire On" as a Driver..for another guyz Rig(s) ?

Joe

jeepguy66

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight guys... Ive looked at three companies so far Bennett, Horizon, classic transport, I've seen Bennett around for years, don't know a whole lot about the other two. I drive 18 wheeler right now, I was figuring I have to make truck payments anyway, why not put it to work??? Most pay between $1.30 and $1.65 a mile thats basically what an owner operator of a 18 wheeler gets.. Pickup gets better fuel mileage, maintenance, tires and things like that cheaper too...

jeepguy66

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I do have a son in the Air Force, he is stationed in Las Vegas right now I thought I might get a chance to go visit him at least>>>

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily say the maintenance is any cheaper..
You only buy four gallons of oil vs 14 gallons, but if you're only changing it once ever 50K vs every 7,500...

might want to sit down and spreadsheet this out..

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64