Extended idle times.

Coleman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have seen in a few older posts about the truck automatically shutting down to protect the emission system after extended idling times? Not sure if this is true or not, but I'm putting in the BD power high idle kit in my 2014 and work in some remote areas that get pretty friggen cold and would typically run the truck continuously when it gets below -30 Celsius. This is my first personnel diesel but have had a far number of older diesel fords and this hasn't been an issue. Should I maybe be considering some other upgrades to avoid having issues with the exhaust filter.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I've never heard of a shutdown due to extended idling. I use my truck for equipment service and I had plenty of -20 to -30 (F) service calls last winter. Run on elevated idle all day. No problems. :sweet

Coleman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Great to hear. So your truck never has never powered down and gone into limp mode until regen ?

Last edited:

waynebudke

Chris
Reaction score
I had to idle my truck for several hours when my power went out on my camper and the only power source I had was my truck to tear down the camper for the trip home. After sitting for a lengthy period idling we took off and going uphill out of the camp my truck started smoking like the head gaskets blew. Got to the top of the hill checked all gages, revved a few times and everything seemd to clear out. took it to the dealer the next day and she smoked up again pulling out of the drive. Dealer found nothing wrong. I guess when it sits idling it still goes into regen mode. The exhaust is not hot enough to burn it out so it (the DEF) just sits until you get her going and the exhaust is hot enough to burn it out. My wonder is, will it hurt the exhaust system doing that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr