Help Needed Growling Noise

dvb250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alright guys i really need help here - 2002 Ford F350 - There's a growling noise while in 4x4 from the drivers side front.

It does not make the noise when the hubs are locked and the truck is in 2x4

It does not make the noise when cruising (maintaining speed) Only when you are under acceleration or deceleration.

WHAT I'VE DONE

I've replaced the drivers side front bearing in the spindle - The wheel bearing has no play and it's not binding - The drivers side front wheel joint was good when i replaced the bearing in the spindle.

I pulled off the front diff cover and found no signs of damage or wear - Changed the fluid and moved on

Removed the transfer case and replaced all the bearings and the drive chain.

I sent out the front drive shaft and had it re-built and balanced

Obviously this is getting expensive and I can't keep throwing parts at it - Someone PLEASE HELP:confused:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You say it does NOT make noise when it is in 2 wheel drive with the hubs unlocked (ESOF?)? Sounds like something is going on in the half shafts and the bearing surfaces. There is a bearing surface at the end of the axle housing that supports the half shaft. It sounds like one or both of these (one on each side) maybe loose and causing the noise. You can remove the axle half shafts and look.

Dave

dvb250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help - That's what i was calling the spindle bearing - I replaced that - It does not make the noise in 2wd with the hubs locked or unlocked - I switched out the auto locking hub from left to right and it didn't change anything too. I'm loosing my mind here!

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the u-joint on the front haft shaft driver side behind the hub. Look at 3220LH in the photo that is what I'm talking about. This u-Joint will drive you nuts trying to find the problem. This is a Dana 44 front end pic but you get the idea.
Dana44-frontaxle.jpg

airdrew99

Living for Him
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Dogman. I pulled the passenger front tire and brake rotor off. I found metal shaving all around the hub assembly. With the tire on, I couldn't hear the horrible noise coming from the hub assembly. With the tire removed, the bearings in the hub sounded terrible and were very loose. I replaced it and it is running great right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58