Ran out of fuel and it only took 18 gal to fill???

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I hope everyone is doing well! I've been busy power washing and don't get on here as much as Id like. Anyways I dont have a functioning dash at the moment so no fuel gauge. (Its been this way for 3 years!!!:doh:) I use the GPS and fill up at around 200 miles or so just to make sure I don't run out. Today I ran out at 240 miles on the gps. I luckily was in the neighborhood and called my wife to bring me the can and take me to get some diesel. I put in 5 gallons then drove 1/4 mile to the station and then could only put in 13 gallons. 13 gallons filled all the way up the neck. Not one drop more or it would over flow. WTH???? Did my pick up tube come off??? What you guys think? Thanks!!!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck is a short bed, it only has a 19 or 24 gal tank. Sounds like you have a 19 gal tank.
I have never gotten over 32 gal in my truck and it's got the 8 ft bed, that I was told had a
36 gal tank. So I don't know what to tell you.
Doug

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I looked online and everywhere I looked said the short bed tanks were 29 gallons and the long beds were 38 gallons. Thats why I was concerned that I ran out with 18 gallons. I should (if I have a 29 gallon tank) have 11 gallons left.

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can verify that I have put 30gal in my 28/29 gal tank before.

So my questions are, are you sure it was empty and not something else that stopped the motor? Was this also not taking anymore fuel because of the foaming of the fuel and the vent tubes?

That's all I have.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
As soon as I put 5 gallons from a 5 gallon can it cranked right up. Then I was only able to put in 13 gallons more. I filled it over a period of 10 minutes until fuel was at the top of the fuel spout. No foam. I have put $120-$130 worth of diesel in the truck before when it was north of $4 a gallon so I know I've put 28+ gallons in it before. All I can figure is that the pick up tube has fallen off. Dropping the tank is such a pain in the @$$!

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say that trackspeeder is right. It acts like your pickup is broken. I've found that it is easier to take off the bed than to drop the tank. Hope this helps. Joe

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I'd guess it died from another issue because it shouldn't of fired right off if it ran out of fuel. Was it running rough or surging before it shut off? I've got'n over 30gal in my 29gal tank but it was starting to surge as I pull into station.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64