Help Needed Tranny acting strtange

nexus1467

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 02 F350 4X4 Today when I was driving to work, my tranny developed a shift problem. While at a stop light when I started to go, it acted like there was no gear or like a fried clutch in a manual tranny. I could hear what sounded like gears rattling. I popped it into 2nd and it acted normal and I drove off. so here are the symptoms.

I can manually shift into 1st, 2nd. N, and R

when the truck is moved from P to Drive, I hear the gear rattle and it will no move. If I shift into 2nd, I can drive off and then shift to D and as long as I am moving, nothing seems wrong. It shifts normal and has no gear slipping. When coming to a stop, I have to drop it into 2nd or it will start to rattle and grind again.

Fluid level is good not burnt and colored red.

The ford dealer says they just want to swap the tranny at a cost 6k. I am not new to fixing my own issues but I am not good with trannys. I am sure others have seen this issue and I don't believe the tranny is a total loss and needs a 100% replacement.

Any ideas would be helpful in understanding that is going on.

Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Automatics are out of my experience. I have tackled a changing of the valve body but that is about it. Give me a manual. I would take it to an independent tranny shop and see what they say. Good luck!

Dave

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pull the transmission pan if you see metal at the bottom time to rebuild. I know it's a bummer but . I good rebuild will cost about $ 1500 in parts . get a reprogramed tagger kit and a heavy duty torque converter.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 02 F350 4X4 Today when I was driving to work, my tranny developed a shift problem. While at a stop light when I started to go, it acted like there was no gear or like a fried clutch in a manual tranny. I could hear what sounded like gears rattling. I popped it into 2nd and it acted normal and I drove off. so here are the symptoms.

I can manually shift into 1st, 2nd. N, and R

when the truck is moved from P to Drive, I hear the gear rattle and it will no move. If I shift into 2nd, I can drive off and then shift to D and as long as I am moving, nothing seems wrong. It shifts normal and has no gear slipping. When coming to a stop, I have to drop it into 2nd or it will start to rattle and grind again.

Fluid level is good not burnt and colored red.

The ford dealer says they just want to swap the tranny at a cost 6k. I am not new to fixing my own issues but I am not good with trannys. I am sure others have seen this issue and I don't believe the tranny is a total loss and needs a 100% replacement.

Any ideas would be helpful in understanding that is going on.

Thanks

It will need a rebuild. Forward clutch has most likely quit.