Cold Front Installed

dpantazis

Reaction score
On the advice of Crumm, I looked into the cold front from Alaska Tent. I mean, its Alaska, they should know COLD! Alaska Tent

I ordered it in red to match my truck. It's cold temp vinyl, crackproof to -50. Here today it's in the +20's.... Total shipped USPS Priority from Alaska was about $60 and took about 10 days from order to delivery.

There are other places too get them, but I did not feel like searching anymore.

The install went pretty easy, line the front on the grill, lick your finger, wet the back of the snap, touch it to the grill, drill a hole, screw in the snap, lather, rinse repeat...

the screw studs are nice, they look like stainless. Drilling into your grill, having never done it before is a bit nerve wracking...

Img_2872.jpg

The flap on the bottom slips between the bumper and the bottom of the radiator. Bungee cords secure it to the frame under the truck. I bungeed it to the radiator support with mini bungees.

Img_2873.jpg

Img_2878.jpg

Img_2880.jpg

Img_2881.jpg

Img_2884.jpg

I am not too keen on the corners sticking out. I will scrounge up some snaps to put on the corners and tack them down.

Img_2885.jpg

And since it's the holly-daze time, here is my truck in it's decorations. Mini-Bungees are great!

Img_2887.jpg

Dennis

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Sweet install dpantazis:sweet I might have to upgrade to one of Alaska's next fall :cool:

Does the front only come in red?

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
Mine's on the way...let me know what ya figure for the corners. I may have to cut a hole or send back to have zipper added where my siren sits behind the grill. Have to wait an see how bad it muffles it first hehhe.

dpantazis

Reaction score
Fireman-

The pics on Alaska's site while small, show 3 more snaps on the bottom. Since mine was 'custom' i wonder if they forgot. The SD is on the top right hand side. I might call them next week.

After looking at it, I think I should have used a grease pencil to draw an outline of the air deflector profile on the grill to line up the top of the cold front to the edge, that way no sliver of chrome showing.

After starting the truck up, you can really hear the air getting pulled in.

Dennis

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that looks nice, much better than my Fia cover from Cabbellas

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fireman said:
Mine's on the way...let me know what ya figure for the corners. I may have to cut a hole or send back to have zipper added where my siren sits behind the grill. Have to wait an see how bad it muffles it first hehhe.

Get one of THESE and you'll never have to worry about being loud enough. It's not the flush mount but you could probably fab up a bracket to hold it... I can't even begin to comment, though, on the whacker-ish consequences of actually having a Q on your POV.

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
There are three more snaps on the bottom. They must have forgot to send them. They don't install them on the winter front so that you can drill through the vinyl and grill while holding it tight. You then install the snap on the winter front and the one on the grill and get a tight fit. With the finger lick system it is hard to get the bottom snaps positioned right for a snug fit. Call them up and I am sure they will send them to you.

Bill, They come in many colors. They have dozens of black ones in stock but can make them in any color you want in just a few days. Green, Yellow, Blue, Black, Red, ext....

I have to go in next week and get one for our new SuperCrew. I wonder if I print this out and tell them all the business I am drumming up if I will get a discount?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
If anyone from Alaska Tent has internet access just give them the link to us:sweet

Thanks for the info on the colors Crumm:cool:

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
jvencius,
Ya that would work...put them damn runners that try an race ya in there place LOL!!!! Probably need 2 more batteries LOL

dpantazis

Reaction score
Opps! they forgot them

I talked to Jeff at Alaska Tent- they did in fact forget to put the other 3 snaps on. They are sending me the tool and the snaps to install them! I have to say, it is propably of the better customer service that I have gotten in a while.

It goes to show you that this is the risk of not being able to drive over and having them install it while I waited. If it was only 35 miles instead of 3500 I would be in great shape.

In retrospect, I almost wish I had spent the extra money and got the deluxe quilted front. Considering that you can get a semi-custom cover, colored to reasonably match your truck (or black) in under 2 weeks is just awesome!

Dennis

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14