DANGEROUS situation with RV Fireplace

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I posted this over at the rv site, but a few of you'ins may not go there
http://www.fulltimerving.com/cfforum/viewtopics.cfm?Forum=1

My rv is like many others with built in fireplaces, yes they are nice.
anyway, i noticed mine was making a weird noise and i, being the investigative type, took a look.
when i pulled off the front trim piece i saw the wood surround was almost charred and was oozing oils from teh wood and waxes. It was also very hot. It appaers the fireplce is either missing a heat shield or its placed to far back in the recess.
so iffin any you guys or gals got an rv with an electric fireplace and run the heater element you may want to take a look, I contacted the builder and they were less that what i say thrilled,
I fall asleep on my couch quite often and let this puppy run for hours, its nice, good thing i got a smoke alarm

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW...

I don't have one in mine but have a Buddy that does... I just called him, to alert him.

We're guna check it out tonite.

Thanx Robert... Big Time.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
the pictures are taken with the brass trim fascia removed. two small #6 screws and it wil pop off
got more pics iffin you need em

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Did you let the RV manufacturer that installed the fireplace know? It'd be interesting to hear their reply!!

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
WOW... Thanks for the heads up... we currently have an "electric" wood stove in ours... not nearly the BTU out put.. but still has the nice visual effect. Ill send this over to my other RV site also.....

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
:eek:

I guess THAT ought to dehumidify the gosh-darned thing....

darn why didnt i think of that , it does have a built in dehumidifying system.

Tg, we sent pics over to forest river, but no reply yet.
my dealer acted like a big JACK @$$, said yall shouldnt use it. dont know iffin we can fix it.

it simply needs a heat shield . 5 bucks worth of sheet metal would do it, but i am not.

try to get a hold of corporate..... :roflmao :roflmao surely you jest

Jspafford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Forest river is horrible. We have a 2002 Salem and it is in the shop having the main roof and the slide roof replaced. Both were rotted out and leaking into the RV.

My Father In Law has a 2001 Sandpiper and his airconditioner has pretty much pushed thru and is sitting on his slide room, pretty much the whole roof is resting on his slide out..

So if you own a forest river may want to keep an eye on your roof. Don't expect much in the way of help from them either!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That just don't look right to me. We use very little heat down here in the Winter time. We shut it off at night time when we go to bed. Now the weather man is saying 31 for a low this weekend. Thought that was why I came down here in the first place.:roflmao :roflmao

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
UPDATE

cedar creek just called

they are ordering a new thermal switch and and have no plans for a heat sheild.:(
advised me not to use it till they can get the parts out to us...:(

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58