hose woes

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I always assumed that my fuel lines were bioD compatible but have two melted hoses that need immediate attention. Perhaps they are not heated SVO compatible. :dunno The two hoses connect the fuel pressure regulator to each head. My mechanic wanted to replace with OEM but I convinced him to use high temp/bioD compatible fuel injection hose which I supplied and make me two custom hoses. Now he has to match the compression fittings because the originals can't be re-used.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
that sux. I noticed you mentioned the hoses yesterday so I did a quick look at mine but didnt notice anything. Do you have any pic available? If not, where did you notice the leak specifically?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
After removing the engine cover, I saw puddling SVO or bioD on each head below each compression fitting and melted rubber hoses that were sweating black shiny goo even though they were wrapped with the black corrugated hose casings. Knowing that blowing either hose on the freeway is disastrous, I dropped it off and rented a car ( Gosh I has gassers :D ). The good news is that my replacement fuel injection hose is rated for up to 300*F and is bioD compatible. I guess that my SVO heaters work well ... :roflmao

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Just curious. What are you new hoses made of?

I wonder how hot your fuel is. I worry about return fuel temps with my regulated return during long hard pulls up grades. I've got a temp sensor at the Aeromotive regulator and an oil temp gauge waiting for install, I don't want to cook my pump, but different pump I realize.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i dont want to pee on a fire, but 300F is to low,
under hood temps easily pas that, can you get some 3000 psi teflon lined high pressure hose or at a min. 1500 psi synthetic. stainless steel braided hose? wil give you a better life span.

antonio,
now that i think about it, if you drive to vegas in teh 110 heat, you might think about a return cooler for those desert runs.
i ran all over hot florida and never had an issue of to hot returns, lots of stop and go 100 heat in traffic did give it a work out. but never anything to alarm me

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
i dont want to pee on a fire, but 300F is to low,
under hood temps easily pas that, can you get some 3000 psi teflon lined high pressure hose or at a min. 1500 psi synthetic. stainless steel braided hose? wil give you a better life span.

Robert, Besides using the OEM rubber, the shop owner suggested using the SS braided Teflon lined lines. Since I'm not familiar if Teflon and bioD are compatible, I passed. Can these be custom fit with compression fittings?

Antonio, I'm using THIS hose on all my fuel plumbing for my SVO as well as for my two melted hoses.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
hheynow said:
Robert, Besides using the OEM rubber, the shop owner suggested using the SS braided Teflon lined lines. Since I'm not familiar if Teflon and bioD are compatible, I passed. Can these be custom fit with compression fittings?

teflon lined hose can be used with some compression fittings, however aeroqip or a type similiar will be your best bet, any good hydraulic shop should have em. and teflon wil lwork with most any chemical or oil. we used em in synthetic hyd 3500 pis lines and jet fuel lines, zero issue, I used em on my truck as well for my oil guard.
Antonio, I'm using THIS hose on all my fuel plumbing for my SVO as well as for my two melted hoses.
it says they are good for bio???
but they look SOFT to me.

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
hheynow said:
Since I'm not familiar if Teflon and bioD are compatible, I passed. Can these be custom fit with compression fittings?

Teflon, Viton and poly propylene hose is B100 compatible from what a few people NBB referred me to. Pacific biodiesel and a couple of their users is who they were. Baldwin also told me the same thing about seals and hoses.

My system is almost all teflon with SS braid. I have one hose from the transfer tank down to the factory that is nitrile inner lining that seems to be hold up but it will eventually get changed too. I also have to change the 30R7 hose I used, before Bio use, from the pickup tube to the frame rail on top of the factory tank. The only factory hose is after the pump that connects it to the steel tubing line.

I adapted everything to JIC connections. NPT to JIC in ports and compression to JIC on the steel tubes.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Robert, I found THIS SS hose, but it's only rated to 250*F and J30R7. My hose is rated to 300*F and J30R9. Other braided SS lines are rubber lined which is bioD unacceptable. Can you find me a link to the Teflon SS braided lines?

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
SAE 30R9 is fine. I use it in my system and often fuel temps exceed 190*. SAE 30R7 is not barrier lined so Bio and even VO will break it down. The teflon with braided sheath is best but requires special crimped fittings, tho it's my first choice for custom made hoses. The SAE 30R9 stuff can be used with barbs and FI clamps if desired/needed. I have diesel, Bio, and SVO running thru mine, over 30k combined and no issues with the hose so far. Kragens has it cheapest by far at 10-12 cents an inch.

Underhood temps may get pretty high in some areas but apparently that isn't as much a concern for the fluid carrying hoses. I read in a catalog the typical radiator and heater hose is only rated for 220*:eek: The better ones were rated something like 250*, both of which seems low to me but they do last several years:dunno

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14