Question advice on exhaust, air intake, tuner, etc

2005superstroke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i'm new to the forum and need some advice on some aftermarket upgrades. i have a 2005 F250 FX4 4x4, basically stock except for 2.5" leveling kit on the front and rancho shocks. I'd like to add an air intake, exhaust, and maybe a tuner. Any suggestions/preferences? The only exhausts that i've heard in person are magnaflow and silverline. Magnaflow sounds great and isn't too expensive, silverline seems pricey and has a louder whistle when the turbo kicks in..... Any suggestions on air intakes? I don't know if one is any better than the other...anyone think differently? I would also like to get a tuner. It seems that SCT is highly recommended... advice on specific models/tunes would be helpful. It seems that aftermarket headstuds are recommended for the 6.0, as far as I can tell from reading y'alls posts... i know this is an expensive replacement, is it worth it? Sorry for the long post, just a newbie with a lot of questions!

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are all kinds of exhaust kits I have only used MBRP so that's another option.

As far as the intake kit leave it stock till you are turning 500HP at the wheels.

Using a SCT with custom tuning has been a well documented way to add power and keep the tranny happy. There are other tuners you can use so choose wisely. You can run the Xcal3 or X3 even the Live Wire so the model is up to you. There are several well known tuners for the 6.0 to include Elite Diesel, Innovative Diesel, GOGO Diesel and many others. They will provide you with all the help and info you need when deciding what kind of power you want out of the truck.

If you got the coin to drop for some studs and the install work I say go for it. Some people have waited till they popped and had the dealership do the work under warranty and even getting them to install the studs instead of new OEM head bolts.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Get some gauges. That to me is more important than the other mods you are asking about.

Then go for the others. Being able to monitor what those mods are doing is key.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
x2 what bama said.... SCT is probably the best tuner/programmer for a 6.0 but there are plenty out there... your stock 6.0 intake moves plenty of air and keeps the junk out better than most aftermarket kits... so unless your planning on racing you are better off saving your 300+ dollars.... as far as exhaust goes.. any stainless steel system is prolly going to work... there are plenty of good brands out there... I don't think one "sounds" different than the other (just my opinion, so will say they do) but anything 4'' from the turbo back is going to let your truck get exhaust out faster and that is what you're looking for...

the turbo sound you hear might have been an 03 or an 04 vs and 05 to 07... ford had a ten vein turbo in the 03 and a 13 vein turbo in the 04 and the 05 to 07s have a 15 vein turbo from what im told... so that is why 03s whistle A LOT higher pitched than the 05 to 07s.. same for 04.... at least that is what i've been told...

good luck with your 05.. i think you'll find if you take care of it.. it will take care of you :thumbs

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
ive got the usual intake and exhaust and ive got an sct and have run quadzilla as well....as far as studs go i didnt blow mine at all much less under warranty but i pull and play a lot and got higher hp tunes so decided to bite the bullet and get them installled when i did the egr delete stuff done. if you are going to turn it up i would get them just a gamble on whether or not you can bl,ow em and get em warrantied

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14