(almost) first trailer pull

stroke_smoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright guys, im about to pull my mom and dads camper this week end. it's a 35' bumper pull and realy intimidating. i've pulled it before but my uncel who's a trucker was there to kinda guide me. the last time i pulled it was a year ago. i've pulled other trailer's but no where near this big. so i'm nevous. anyone got any tips to settle me down? after this i have to pull it home then to Stone Lick around sept.10th or so. also i need recomendations on brake controlers. i borrowed the last one and had a hell of a time geting it adjusted. not fun tryin to stop with a misadjusted controller. dont want that this time.

Last edited:

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, remember that it is back there. Plan your turns and think ahead as far as practical. Someone that is good a tpulling a trailer knows when to stop and to look ahead.
As for the brake controller, I always adjust the little wheel or potentiometer, and then adjust the application part. I start rolling forward and without using the trucks brakes I apply the trailer brakes, if they stop you smoothly, and in a few feet, they are just about right.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
35 footer NICE
i am sure you have a good hitch and weight disto hook up.
I too set the brakes by rolling, then squeeze the manual trigger she better stop me NOW and smoothly with no lock up

plan ahead, dont get in a hurry, enjoy the ride. dont watch it to much in your mirrors or you will end up using all the lane width. jsut drive and periodically look back and see if she is OK, do be mindful of folks hanging out besdie you staring at the trailer and not driving, i find em hiding in my blindspots all the time

TIRES proper PSI and good condition and check teh spare as well,
LUGNUTS tight before you leave,
LIGHTS

i run my trailer tires at max rated psi,

lastly . set up the hitch so your level when the weight bars are under tension and your ready to go...

if you havent used wt. bars in a while, vneture over to reese.com and read about proper set up, great set of instructions.

indycecil

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If you are going to buy a brake controller go ahead and spend the money for a prodigy or such. No set up required just plug and go. They adjust themselves constantly. Just my opinion about that.

Don't try to win any races while ooked to your Travel Trailer, its really a no win situation.

As Robert stated make sure all tires are at MAX rated pressures. Makes for easier pulling also.

OH Yea, Have fun while you are out there, that is what it is all about.

stroke_smoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the prodigy last nite. total for the contoller and truck adapter cuz mine was gone when i got the truck was $170 and some change. i did have any trouble with mirrors last time i pulled so i think i'm good there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14