Common problems on the 6.4

twinjracing

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There are a few common problems with the 6.4 that I'm aware of like the Radiator problem. Let's start a list of the frequent ones.

1. Radiator

Radiator problems are pretty much ancient news. There were only problems in the Job 1 trucks.

Well mine's a jobe 1 just hit 40,000 miles and it just started leaking i saw it today pass side front frame rail. turn it back to stock. dam.

crappy milage

DP Filter

Mileage is the biggest problem.

X2 delete and tune the only way to go I stalled on this but i glad i did it.

Another thing to add to the list Change fuel filters at every 10,000 miles. I didn't know this at first.

olesmokey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Had to have radiator replaced and venturi under warrantee, EGR went bad truck wouldnt do over 10mph to the dealership underwarrantee, just this week 33000 miles fuel in oil dealership replaced high pressure fuel pump had to remove cab extended warrantee but cost me 300 bucks including deductible.

tjmaxx

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
How would I know if I had radiator problems? And is there a recall for it?

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
A buddy of mine was at a dyno day where all the cummins guys go. There was one 6.4 there with just a tuner and that thing did very well. Beat some of the modded cummins trucks. I'd buy a 6.4 if I got rid of the ole 7.3..............which would be never haha.

Pipewelder

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.4. I am a mobile pipewelder. I have 153,000 on it. For the last 1000 miles, the cruise control won't come on until the engine is completely warm. Wondering if anyone else has had the problem and how to fix it.

Pipewelder

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am up to 165000+ miles. Recently I have been doing a lot of welding in WY. Running up across I-80 at 70-75mph, the temp gauge will be fine right in the middle where it usually runs and jump all of the way up immediately. Back off to 65 or so and it goes back down. Doesn't act like or smell like it is hot pull over and check and anti freeze is right where it should be. I do weigh right at 12,000 lbs. But the pickup has been that heavy for the last 50,000 miles or so. Any ideas. I flushed the system all is the same. Wondering if it might be a sticking thermostat, and if so, how hard is to change it. I am fairly wrenchy.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr