Question edge II

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think about getting 3 gauges (EGT, tranny, boost) vs the edge II for a 7.3L? Here's the info on the edge Edge 15001 Evolution II Programmer for Ford Powerstroke at DieselManor and it runs nearly $500 compared to $380+ for ISSPRO 3 gauge set (with probes/sensors).

I'm thinking it gives me my desired gauges plus a little more all together...the EGT probe comes with it and I guess all other engine variables are from the truck's computer...is this a problem?

The other thing you get is full programming capability (but I don't know how to do that), ability to reset codes I guess, and 3 "tunes" of 60/80/100hp.

Which way is better...or is there a better way on this?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on where you want to end up with your truck. The "full programming capability" is far from the capability that the chip tuners have not to mention the countless hours that they have invested in testing and evaluating how each parameter impacts the performance of the truck. If injectors are or might be in your future call edge or diesel manor and ask them how it will deal with custom injectors.

Given the list of mods in your sig line I think that planning for the future would be best done by getting traditional gauges and a chip from a reputable programmer when that time comes.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Brandon. I was thinking of the Edge primarily for its ability to provide the traditional gauge readings w/o installing them individually. Sort of a reduced hassle factor means of getting gauges, and more engine variables to read.

Then for programs I was looking at DP tuner, I really like the flexibility and options... but not ruled out TWildman either. So I'm mostly wondering if there is any benefit to traditional gauges alone, vs using this Edge programmer. For example, I don't have to run a tranny sensors or a boost sensor line, if I use the Edge.:dunno

I want to end up with some simple tunes for a) high idle, b) economy and c) towing 5-12k. Not into lighting up the tires, but would definitely get a higher hp tune for grins and giggles. For sure I need to know my EGT and tranny temps!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission temp that the PCM uses (and the edge would tap into) is on the solenoid pack which sits in the transmission pan and is not in an area that gets a high flow of transmission fluid. Either of the two can delay the temperature reading when combined could be catastrophic. The "normal" place for the temp probe with aftermarket gauges is in the pressure test port which has a high flow of transmission fluid immediately after circulation through the converter & pump assembly where most of the heat is generated giving you the earliest possible warning of an overheating transmission.

As far as the boost the Edge uses the MAP sensor which there is no inherent problem there that I can think of other than if you start pushing boost high enough to throw CEL (standard "hot" programming will do this) and you get a boost blow off setup then you won't be able to see the real boost values the turbo is producing.

The edge tends to not work well with built transmission or modified valve bodies which help the transmission hold the extra power (in general about edge products not positive about this specific one)

An option in the traditional gauge realm is the ISSPRO Performax line, they use a secondary computer/controller for the gauges so there are minimal wires to penetrate the firewall which makes installation a bit easier and adding gauges down the road much cheaper and easier should you ever get to that point. I have a set in my truck and would definitely buy them though they are a bit more expensive for just 3 gauges.

As far as a chip company I'm awaiting mine back from wildman for programming. For me it came down to a choice on the switch. I don't like the electronic pushbutton display that comes from DP-tuner. I have yet to find a mounting option that appeals to my tastes. Either one will give you excellent programming and support. Wildman can give you whatever you want as much as Jody (Dp-tuner) he has chosen to keep his site a bit more simple instead of listing all of the possible options only to list the most common ones.

I will say that the power bug bit me once i got a chip and when I had an injector malfunction the cards just played right for an injector upgrade.

My honest suggestion is to try and find someone in your area that will let you drive their truck with either the edge or a chip from a programmer and see which you like better, or if you can tell a difference. I stumbled upon my first chip at a steal so that decision was made for me but having driven Edge equipped trucks since then, I'm glad I have a chip.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
If all your looking for are gauges edge makes the insight for $300 or less that has every thing the attitude does but the performance programs.

JRJ04

Reaction score
i would trust the analog isspro gauges anyday over digital stuff. When your numbers start running up really fast its hard to see things changing. With an analog...you can see it move right on up.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the input. I was basically looking at the Edge as an alternative guage system and not for the tunes or programming. Based on all this fine input I think I'll go with the orgiinal plan and get gauges...too many issues about response and whether I'm really getting the proper reading using the Edge/PCM method. Also, I'll check out Brandon's suggestion on the Peformax line.

Now...if you mount over the rear view mirror, how do you stuff the wires into the headliner? Seriously, I've got a microphone wire up there now that is always falling down!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14