Excursion won't start

plangfield

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have 2000 7.3 PSD Excursion w/81000 miles. Last Friday I came home, parked in the driveway. The Ex was running w/no problems. Saturday morning, came out to go to work, it would not start. Cranked, but would not start. Seemed to me like a CPS, so I order one and installed it tonight. Still won't start. Doesn't even try to start. Just cranks and cranks. Batteries seem strong. No smoke, nothing else unusual. Besides having it towed to my local garage, i'd like to throw this out, see if anyone has any ideas. The SES light is on. I don't have an analyser to get the codes out. HELP!!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
plangfield said:
I have 2000 7.3 PSD Excursion w/81000 miles. Last Friday I came home, parked in the driveway. The Ex was running w/no problems. Saturday morning, came out to go to work, it would not start. Cranked, but would not start. Seemed to me like a CPS, so I order one and installed it tonight. Still won't start. Doesn't even try to start. Just cranks and cranks. Batteries seem strong. No smoke, nothing else unusual. Besides having it towed to my local garage, i'd like to throw this out, see if anyone has any ideas. The SES light is on. I don't have an analyser to get the codes out. HELP!!

First off, welcome to SDD.com, glad to have you here, secondly I moved your post from the 7.3 forum to the Ex forum, although it would surely have gotten answered where you first posted it too.

Thirdly, lets move onto the problem...

Is your tach moving when you crank? If so, probably not CPS. How old are your batts? Even though its cranking good it may have weak batteries, if they are the originals they may be shot. Or possibly since you state no smoke what so ever, check your maxi-fuses (and on a 2000 EX I dont know where they are located) but you may have blown the fuse that supplies the IDM with voltage. Hopefully a guy with more experience in the 99+ SD's will chime in here soon.

Mike

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Is your tach moving when you crank? If so, probably not CPS.
Mike, I think that the tach diagnostic only applies to 2002 and up trucks. My Y2K tach does not move when cranking.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Brian,

I am out of my league trying to diagnose a 99+ SD/Ex but the tach issue is applicable to my old 7.3 PSD.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to SDD also :cowboy:

I'd check the engine oil level in high pressure oil pump reservoir for starts,make sure the oil level within 25.4 mm (1 inch) of the inspection plug.
The fuel pressure on the output side of the fuel pump should be 30 plus psi.
Could be in the Glow Plug Relay,circuit and glow plugs.

See if you can get a code scanner hooked up to the truck to bring up any Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

Bill

CHPMustang

Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Brian,

I am out of my league trying to diagnose a 99+ SD/Ex but the tach issue is applicable to my old 7.3 PSD.
I remember the pre 99's tachs did move when cranking,I know our 2002 does not ;)

Max Power

Reaction score
If you have PCM plug in style chip that can also cause this problem. Remove it and try to start again. You will also see the glow plug light doesn't come on if that is the trouble.

SeeYa

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
plangfield said:

Make sure you EX does not have the "pats" system. If it does, I know that if you try cranking it several times it will disable the pats system on the EX's. This will cause it to not start. Just a thought :dunno

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
RazzyB said:
Mike, I think that the tach diagnostic only applies to 2002 and up trucks. My Y2K tach does not move when cranking.

I am pretty sure that 01 was the last year the tach will move when cranking. Starting in 02 the tach don't come up till the vehicle starts.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, CPS lesson:

(and RazzyB's exerience doesnt count, I blame his computer :D )

The TACH *should* bounce ever so slightly on 2001 and OLDER trucks. You may not notice it if your truck is healthy, because it will fire off and run. However, if the truck does NOT start, the needle should wiggle a couple hundred RPMs.

Also, if you have an AIC with the display, it should register RPMs also.

2002 and NEWER trucks that have the Factory Tranny Temp Gauge WILL NOT show TACH movement until AFTER the truck is running. This is because Ford changed how the computer controls the dash. Yup, the computer runs the dash of our trucks. (further reason why I think Razzy's computer is having issues).

I dont know what effect the PATS system will have if the truck wont start.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58