low sulfer fuel

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using the 2 cycle (TCW3) for 3 years now.. won't be without it.

Ratio being 1 oz. per gallon.. I Fill-up at a halfa tank (16/18 gal), per the fuel gauge, dump in 1 jug.. I'm Good To Go.

Joe

dpantazis

Reaction score
dogman-

this is the most misunderstood concept among diesel owners. you have to decide what all you want to accomplish. bottom line, decide what you think your truck needs to be happy. like dippy-doo, a little goes a long way.

for the record, my 7.3 is happy with anything between 3/4 oz/gallon to 1/oz gallon of 2 cycle oil. i do not use cetane boost.

do some reading here, we have discussed the use of fuel additives.

the link that clint put up to the GM sister site of SDD that published the lubricity benefits of different additives study. based on cost and availability, B2 was pretty good and cheap. adding 2 ashless cycle was in the top 10 for performance and cost.

notice that the cetane boosters LOWERED lubricity over base fuel?

remember that cetane is NOT like octane. its an index of ease of IGNITION. this is more critical in colder, low temp environments. granted, florida has had a recent bout of it, but i would be surprised if your truck was 'happier' with cetane booster.

marketing campaigns have created a perceived need for cetane boosters. misinformed consumers propagate it.

removing the sulphur from diesel RAISED cetane index number in fuel.

cetane booster plus 2 cycle oil basically cancels each other out.

in 2001, the ASTM decided to raise the minimum cetane number from 40 to 42.5. iirc, the target for ULSD was 47. be careful reading the specs online, make sure you are looking at the date of the standard. there are many outdated versions of the standard floating around.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on what dp said ;tu

The Super-Tech 2 cycle oil, with TCW3 is readily available at Any W-Mart.. for about $1.50 a jug. + or - 1 oz per gallon is a good mix.

My 7.3 Runs and Sounds noticably BETTER with it, in ULSC Dezel fuel.

Try it, yul like it.

Joe

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dp, I know what your saying. The problem is it sounds like the valve train is coming loose at high speed, but it's not I checked it.... I'm going to give the 2 cycle oil a try and see if it sounds better.

It comes down to taking your old 1950's car that loved lead additives and putting unleaded in. It sounds different and runs different damage to be determined later.

bob68vw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to love the epa, and the tree huggers. They think they know how to get cleaner fuel, but it just makes your vehicle run worse and get worse milage

HJohnson

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If 2-cycle oil helps lubricity, would caaaaaarefully-filtered WMO help as well, if added in a similar ratio (1oz-1gal)? Or are the helpful components of WMO already gone?

dpantazis

Reaction score
2cycle oil is MEANT to be burned in a combustion chamber.

what do you mean by WMO? waste motor oil? i would not do it.

think about all the heavy metals that you will be depositing on your injectors, the really nasty stuff you would be releasing into the air.

ducky1402

Reaction score
seems like you are all talking about 6.0s and 7.3s. what about the new 6.4s. I was told by dealer they were designed to run specifically on ulsd and not to add anything to it.... Im guessing because of the power robbing epa filter any ideas

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Ford Motorcraft Cetane Booster and Performance Improver. PM22A 20 oz treats 125 gal and costs $6-8 or PM22G 1 gal treats 1000 gal for $40. Dealer said if you start using it after a egr or turbo cleaning they haven't had one come back. Sounds like a selling gimmick to me. I've been using it but haven't used up a gal yet so really don't know if it works as good as they claim. Filters on line has it as well as dealers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim