Power Steering Pump-metric or standard?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
My power steering is getting a little weak at low rpm so I suppose it is time for a pump. I went to pick one up so that when I have time I could swap it out. I went to NAPA and Schucks and both places needed to know if it is standard or metric thread. What thread are they asking about? Is it the hose fitting thread or the pulley bolt thread? Did Ford use both in 96'? I would like to get the pump before I pull mine, is there a way to tell which one I have?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a new one on me I'm guessing they are talking about the pressure hose threads. I'm thinking that ford switched to metric somewhere in the '96 model year. I'd find out from them if they have both in stock or if they would have to order either one. If they have both in stock it wouldn't be too bad to pull it and then take the trip to town and get the part then install. guess this depends on how far out you live.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
One NAPA has two metric's in stock but the standard are out of stock. The other NAPA(way across town)has three of each. Schucks has three metrics but no standards. It makes me wonder of the standards are a hot item or if they stock more of the metrics because they sell more.

No way to tell which one I have?

Next question: Anyone know what puller I need for the pulley. I guess I better get one before I start the whole project.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will need a power steering pulley puller yeah there's a special one. If you don't have one autozone or the like stores that rent tools keep one in stock so when I've swapped PS pumps I've just taken the pump in and pulled it off there in the store. picture

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
BJS said:
when I've swapped PS pumps I've just taken the pump in and pulled it off there in the store.
On the PSD unless you want to pull a whole bunch of stuff and remove the whole mounting bracket you have to remove the pulley before you remove the pump. Poor design if you ask me but thats how they did it.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that ebay set would work pretty good or that looks exactly like the pieces I've used before that is based on that they aren't really cheap metal and break when you try to use them. I couldn't even figure out which snap-on one is right based on their website I guess they want you to buy the $230 set.

Wait I think I have the snap-on deal figured out you need a CJ113B which is the installer, and a CJ117C or CJ124A (2nd is "This is a larger version of CJ117C")

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14