Tire Pressure

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready for a long trip, and need to air up the tires. I have BFG AT in 285/75 16 load D.

Truck weight with trailer is 4500 front, 4700 rear. 2250/2350 per tire.

From a Goodyear publication, it says that I only need 40psi for the front, and 45psi for the rear. Does that seem low? I run that empty. If I go the full 65psi, I have a rough ride.

Know any other places to get pressure for weight? What would you run, if it was yours? Don't worry, I will not hold you responsible :D

Thanks for the help

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i pull a 36' kaufman 2 car trailer with a total load weight of about 20k to 24k. i keep 80 psi in all 4 tires all the time. i average about 53,000 per set of tires. 45 psi sounds awful low to me. my truck is an '04 F350 SRW, so the recommended tire press. maybe diff. compared to your f250.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I'm running Load Range E tires but 45 psi in your "D's" sounds low to me? I usually put 70+ psi for towing and down to 55 or so for unloaded running.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
yep thats a bit low

empty I run 65 up front
45-50 out back i have run as low as 35 and still got great wear out back but ride was squishy

loaded 80 up front and 65-80 out back based on load. but most of the time is 70 out back with our fiver hooked up and thats a bit over 7k on the rear set of tires (duals)

ideally you want a good contact patch so wear and load is evenly ditributed. and you still can maintain a level of safety and control.

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
So then running 80-90 psi in a dually all the time loaded or unloaded is bad on E rated tires?

To me its just a little rough, but also with the type of hitch that I have, (ties into rear suspension, and a beefier rear swaw bar) doesnt help much either.. When I do tow it does ride like a caddy

dpantazis

Reaction score
chalk test

powerboatr said:
ideally you want a good contact patch so wear and load is evenly ditributed. and you still can maintain a level of safety and control.

Rob't-

Was there a thread on the 'chalk test' here a while back? I can not find it. Perhaps we should talk about it again. I was planning on doing it soon but forgot the particulars.

Dennis

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
dpantazis said:
Rob't-

Was there a thread on the 'chalk test' here a while back? I can not find it. Perhaps we should talk about it again. I was planning on doing it soon but forgot the particulars.

Dennis

yes there was my good man, but i to was unable to draw it from the files.

its to long for my finjers tooo typo it agin :D
my source:D but no chalk write up

great videos
great video

Last edited:

jkmcgrath

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Chalk test you make a line across your tire and then roll forward or back to see how much is scrubed off indicating the foot print of your tire. Adjust air pressure accordingly.

On my 05 Dually CRW I am running 60 front and 35 each dual which is min rec for the rear and still able handle my load. Also even at 35 in the rear, the chalk test shows them to be over inflated.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chalk test is the only right way to know proper air pressure for YOUR turck and YOUR load....

worth the few minutes of time in the driveway even when unloaded !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14