Tow Height for 5er On 00 F250 4x4

Poppasmurf

Hoser
Reaction score
Greeting all, just bought my new to me 2000 F-250 Ex.Cab 4x4 6sp 7.3. I am putting my 5er hitch on this Wed. The hitch shop is concerned about the Ford height compared to trailer. They suggest I might have to get my tr.springs flipped. Anyone know the heights involved and the limit. My trailer is 48 1/2" to flat of hitch and 55" to underside of tongue. Might it clear? Thanks a bunch to all those with knowledge on this board, by lurking here I was able to make a much better decision on a vehicle. I came close to buying an equivalent in a 98 Cummins. But after driving the 2 vehicles, it is apparent the Cummins is the superior powerplant, but it is gift wrapped in the most g__ awful pkge. In the F250, my fat bucket just fit the Ford bucket, and all around more pleasant driver.:thumbs

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poppasmurf , Welcome to SSD.com Please tell us where you are from. I have a 93 Hitch Hiker 32 footer and when I got the new 06 I had to put the springs on top of the axes on mine. It didn't hurt the way it pulls at all. Just got back from Gladewater, Texas (0250 miles, one way)about 2 hours ago and pulled it at 80 a few times.
Glad to have you here.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
poppasmurf
we have a 2006 cedar creek and the axles are under the springs, we tow SUPER, the tow boss loves to haul tail and tries to creep up to 75-80 if your not watching the right foot.
but back to your concern, we have just over 8" of bed clearance
still managed 9-10 mpg at just over 23k combined weight, Varoom

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of distance between rails and the Fiver---What is the recommended distance?
NOT tryin to hijack the thread:oops: :thanks

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
goldhilljoe said:
Speaking of distance between rails and the Fiver---What is the recommended distance?
NOT tryin to hijack the thread:oops: :thanks

Goldhilljoe: I don't know if there is a sat recommended distance for a fifth wheel. When I got the new 06 I only had about 3 or 4 inches of distance between the trailer and the top of my bed.
I put the springs on top and now I have at least 12 inches. I like 8 to 10inches at least. Wish I could help more.:sorry

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Generally speaking, 4" to 6" is what you want to shoot for between the top of the truck bed and the bottom of the trailer. That is the figure we use in our dealership.

Earlier Super Duty's had a problem with the bed making contact with the underside of 5er's. Ford came out with a TSB to remove the 4" spacer blocks between the springs and axles and replace them with 2" blocks. This dropped the rear of the bed at the tailgate about 4".

Many 5th wheel hitches are adjustable several inches in height in the truck bed. Also many 5th wheel pin boxes on RV's are also adjustable vertically to the tune of a few inches.

If your clearance still isn't enough, contact your RV dealer. Using the RV's VIN, they can contact the manufacturer and find out if a pin box with different measurements is available that will provide more clearance between the RV and truck bed. 5th wheel pin boxes usually are not made by the RV manufacturer. They are made by a supplier just like your stoves, airconditioners and refridgerators.
There are also a few aftermarket pin box extenders on the market. But a reputable RV dealership whose has your safety in mind will try to steer folks away from them due to the extra stress they may place on the 5th wheel hitch system. I have heard of 5th wheel trailer pin boxes developing stress cracks when a pin extender is used.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14