Help Needed turbo questions/ upgrade

petersen

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 1994 F350 that has the pre powerstroke 7.3 IDI with the ATS turbo system on it. I have had nothing but issues with this truck. To make a long, long, long story short, I have replaced, rebuilt everything. The truck still as no power and pulls like a dog and gets terrible fuel mileage. I have suspected the turbo all along, but have had several mechanics including dealerships tell me that the turbo was working properly. I pulled off the air filter and looked at the turbo. I could spin the compressor wheel or fan by hand but it was not free spinning. I suspect that it needs a overhaul. Now comes the question....what options are available to upgrade to larger turbo? Is it even possible to put a larger turbo on it? Are there any other F series models that I could use the turbos off of or adapt to work on the 7.3 IDI. I was once told that a turbo off of a 2001 along with a intake manifold, intercooler, y pipe etc etc. would work and would bolt right on to my block. I have some concerns with with as I am not sure that would be possible.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You need to do some more research before you go changing the turbo to a different model. A bigger turbo will not act like your old one. It will dog off the line and get great boost up top. A smaller turbo will get you off the line quicker but won't build much boost at the top end. What you have (when it is working correctly) is a compromise. I would rebuild what you have and them see what you want based on how yours works and how you drive. You can't get everything all of the time.

Dave

petersen

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
More questions on upgrade

I have been told that it would be possible to add a turbo off of a 2001 7.3 if I changed the exhaust manifolds and added the intercooler. I was told that the exhaust manifolds off of a 2001 would bolt right onto my block without any problems. Does anyone know anything about this? Also my truck does not have a computer but does have a throttle position sensor that is used to tell the electronic transmission control when it is supposed to shift. If the 2001 exhaust manifolds, turbo and intercooler were an option would that effect the TPS and transmission. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. I need to be able to tow a little better but I don't want to sacrifice reliability either.

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
petersen-

SDD is a daughter forum of the main site Oilburners.net

under there is a 7.3IDI forum that has more knowledgeable folks with that motor.

you might want to look there for more info or post your question there. i think that you are on the right track, but why bother with all that work? rebuild your existing turbo and live happily ever after.

dp

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58