Water temp. gauge

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
Since I'm using the plugged port in my water pump for my coolant filter, can I use one of these plugged ports in the coolant filter cap for the senor? Will I get an acurate reading?
Thanks.
Jamie

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Jamie..... I used one of the un-used coolant filter ports for mine. Works well. The coolant temps are acurate, maybe a degree or two cooler because of the distance it travels thru the hose (in open air)..... But anything is better than the OEM thing. I'm really surprized at the flucuations in temps. The after market gauge will show + or - 10 degree movements, when pulling..... the OEM thing just sits there.

My 0.3 :dunno

JOE

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
Hi Jamie..... I used one of the un-used coolant filter ports for mine. Works well. The coolant temps are acurate, maybe a degree or two cooler because of the distance it travels thru the hose (in open air)..... But anything is better than the OEM thing. I'm really surprized at the flucuations in temps. The after market gauge will show + or - 10 degree movements, when pulling..... the OEM thing just sits there.

My 0.3 :dunno

JOE
Thanks Joe, I just posted about the stock guage in another forum.. They are pretty much just like an idiot light, like the stock trans temp gauge in my 02'. Can't imagine why they ever thougt that trans temp guage could be of any use. As soon as you start the truck it goes about half way then doesn't move again til you shut it down. I would sooner have the voltmeter.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya Jamie..... I call them OEM gauges: :cussing: Idiot Needles

I'm think'n about a REAL oil pressure gauge TOO !!

Usually..... When I start >>think'n<< about stuff..... It's guna happen. (Wife sez)

;) :D

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
I hear ya Jamie..... I call them OEM gauges: :cussing: Idiot Needles

I'm think'n about a REAL oil pressure gauge TOO !!

Usually..... When I start >>think'n<< about stuff..... It's guna happen. (Wife sez)

;) :D

I'm with you on the gauges. With all of the interior customizing I've done on my F-350, I'm starting to consider grafting an 96-98 style chevrolet instrument cluster to replace the stock cluster. Aside from modifiying the dash to make the cluster fit, it seems like it would be a pretty straightforward installation using the OE GM sending units from a 6.5TD. I've always liked the looks of their gauges better anyways, easier on my eyes. Only thing I have to figure out is how to adapt the tach voltages, and the VSS.

If you're wondering why I'm using a GM cluster as opposed to building a gauge set (like Autometer and the like). The reason is that I like trying to keep a somewhat stock (and uncluttered) look to my vehicles, and while a GM instrument cluster in a Ford is definately not stock, it feels stock, and would retain all of my warning/idiot/wait to start functions and other misc indicators.

OH, and mega dittos on the "When I start >>think'n<< about stuff..... It's guna happen" That is so true about me...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14