Broken sensor wires on '97 PSD

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was over at Ramprat's house this morning fixing a GP relay wire and while the hood was up, Mrs. Rampy saw that there is another sensor on the driver's side cylinder head, just forward of the lifting eye that's broken. The sensor body looks OK, but two of the three wires going into it are broken off right at the plug. We went to Advance Auto but their code reader wouldn't work right and so neither of us have any idea what CEL code it set (the CEL is on). Rampy said the truck started and ran like before, so I can't imagine that the sensor is critical to engine operation but it is broken and should be fixed. Sorry for the crappy quality of the picture--I took it with my phone and the phone can only take 640x480 resolution shots. Does anyone know what this sensor is and how much it costs? I figure that there will be some soldering involved, since the wires are broken and if the new sensor comes with some pigtail wires attached I'll have to connect them to the factory harness, so that's not a big deal.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I can't tell the exact position of the damaged wiring on the sensor but it looks like it's associated with oil pressure by the angle appearance of it possibly.:dunno

If it's the oil pressure sender it'll be around $12 bucks.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
I can't tell the exact position of the damaged wiring on the sensor but it looks like it's associated with oil pressure by the angle appearance of it possibly.:dunno

If it's the oil pressure sender it'll be around $12 bucks.

Rampy posted another pic over on OB.net--I'm too lazy to download it from there and post it over here so you'll have to go look for yourself.:roflmao

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats your ICP sensor. Looks like someone had a 10k mod and cut it out or something.

Buy one of these: GM part number 12102748 Connector pigtail (incl. terminals)

cut the OLD connector off, match the wires up, and solder the new pigtail on.

The truck WILL RUN, but it will be on a "fault" setting in the computer and wont run as good as it could.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and it *IS* oil pressure, but its HIGH PESSURE oil. I think its about 100 bucks from International. BUT, you dont need the sensor, just a new pigtail, as posted above.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rampy's truck is fixed now. I went back and soldered a ring terminal on the GPR wire I fixed this morning (to get the truck running I crimped on a terminal) just to make a more secure connection. Actually, Rampy bought GM Part #88988301 (plug w/pigtail) and that connected right up between the ICP sensor and the factory harness. I got everything soldered together, the truck fired right up, and the CEL cleared, so I guess I hooked the right pigtail wires to the right ones in the factory harness. I hesitate to think what the stealership would charge for the whole ICP wiring harness, but the $50 or so for the GM part is probably a good deal.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OUCH! 50 bucks?

The part number I gave (same part by the way, just used on the coolant temp sensor instead of the throttle position sensor) should only have been like 20 bucks.

But, yes, if the CEL went out, you most likely got it right.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
OUCH! 50 bucks?

The part number I gave (same part by the way, just used on the coolant temp sensor instead of the throttle position sensor) should only have been like 20 bucks.

But, yes, if the CEL went out, you most likely got it right.

Even so, it's better than the (I'm not kidding here) $549 the local stealership quoted for a parts cost when I told them what wiring was broken. I've always known they were shady, but when the parts guy didn't even mention fixing the pigtail, that cemented my opinion of them.

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeppers, thanks to JV the truck is back running again without any fault codes:thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

The truck never has had a 10k mod on it, I'm the only owner and know that without a doubt:D Don't know if it was a rodent under the hood or just normal wear and tear. Ya would think if it was a animal other wires would have been nibbled on:confused:

Now if I could just figure out why the Auto Zone code reader would not/could not read the code:confused: :confused: :confused:

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Rampster, te AutoZone readers will not read the PSD computer, don't know why but they won't.

Glad you're up and running

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14