BLUE CPS MYTH

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posted on TDS by Fomogo

Before I get the its been talked about I dont see a post about the BLUE by itself yes in the other thread its not as good, but not the data as to why..

Jody did cylinder pressure testing on my truck Thursday and Friday with a new Black Motorcraft CPS and a new Blue International CPS.

This thing can now be laid to rest as I left with a black CPS in my truck.

Here are the hard facts.

Idle efficiency is 44.4 percent with the blue and 55.4 percent with the black.

Cylinder pressure at idle is 553 psi at 9 degrees ATDC with the blue and 572 psi at 8 degree with the black.

Combustion duration was only 35 degrees of crank rotation with the blue and 51 degrees of crank rotation with the black.

Torque at idle was 4.7 foot pounds per cylinder with the blue and 4.3 per cylinder with the black.

The testing was also done on the road and was along the same lines as the idle testing. It just compounded the numbers with RPMs. So there it is tested and graphed.

When you read the graph, the blue CPS doesn't have a clean curve. The black CPS gives a nice rise and fall on the graph with a nice rounded top. The blue CPS gives a rise sooner but has a divot in the top of the curve then falls off sooner.

FOMOGO

Last edited:

BWard

Auctioneer
Reaction score
Great , Thank you for the info. I am going to have a BTS Trans and chip installed in a day or 2 and figured if 1 CPS is better than the other (for performance) I would replace it. Ford just installed one about two months ago. I guess from what I read I should buy another one and put it in my glove box.
Thanks again,

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
misunderstood

Hope im not kicking up a sleeping dog here
Was the reason with the blue one more that its more dependable then the ford factory one, or was it suppose to be a performance mod, I just remeber seeing something about the ford ones were junk compared to the blue..

Hope i did,nt open a can of worms just did'nt really see remember seeing something about that...:dunno

mech2161

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there was ever a claim to better performance. It was claimed to be smoother at idle and cruise speeds.

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess The Black is better and dependability is about the same with both of them, My truck has 144,000 on it and i think its still the original one, so my time might be comming, trucks been running good, but times will come..

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is absolutely no predicting when a blue or black will fail. I have seen new ones fail within hours of being installed. I have seen "old ones" continue to run flawlessly for a 100,000 miles.

The whole "Blue CPS is better" is TOTALLY a marketing gimmick because a couple of ppl "felt" their truck ran better. No one, until the above posts, ever actually put a blue CPS to the test.

I had asked for testing to be done from the START. It took someone who ISNT selling them to actually do the testing.

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh well

I guess Ill just break mne lose just incase and put another in glove box...:thanks

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Interesting test results.

I'm trying one in my '95 and really can't tell any SOP difference. Fuel economy, idle, cold starts, etc no change. It has a stronger magnet and costs a few dollars more, and it's a pretty blue. Also the IH guy knew the part number by heart so that to me implies a fair volume, suggesting it's not any more reliable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg