Remote start / security system

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK... Here's another question from the newbie... (when can I stop calling myself a newbie anyway????!!:D )

I want to add a god remote start & security system upgrade and have a specific product in mind. Would like to hear if any of you have some experience with it...

I like Directed Electronics' Viper 791XV. http://www.directed.com/security/viper/viper_responder.asp
I have it on my 1/2 ton pickup and it's a great system, but the 1/2 ton is a wimpy little gasser ;) and I'm curious if it would be as reliable on my PSD. It does have a glow plug warming delay, so it seems it's designed to be good for a diesel powered rig.

Anyone have comments to share on the topic?

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can quit calling yorself a newbe anytime now. We all can see the number of posts you have. Yes the alarm should work nicely. I have heard of others who have Vipers and they love them. I have a lowly Ford alarm without remote start.

Dave

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Viper's good, had em on my cobra (miss ya!) and whenever my dog went to go lift it's leg on it "VIPER EQUIPPED VEHICLE, PLEASE STEP BACK!" and my dog's a pansy, ran away like a crook :D

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
2005Diesel said:
Viper's good, had em on my cobra (miss ya!) and whenever my dog went to go lift it's leg on it "VIPER EQUIPPED VEHICLE, PLEASE STEP BACK!" and my dog's a pansy, ran away like a crook :D

i second the viper, I am on number two. both work pretty darn good
and my new one makes a hissing snake sound when the key is frst turned on right at the drivers fender sounds like a snake.

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hissing sounds cool. Haven't heard that one. Do you know what that option is called?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
2005Diesel said:
"Key-in Hiss"? :dunno

actually it was funny
my wife took it in for the install, I was working making money to spend.
I had never really paid much mind to the prestart sounds.
then she was showing me the remote start and the other neat stuff we got put in.
she said listen it HISSES.
i looked at the truck and had it remote start. I got a big grin and said well i dont think its the alrm.
it was the fuel pump and other oddities under the hood going through the prestart.
and it does sound like a hisssing snake, :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :D

Got snake :roflmao :roflmao

rblprd

Losted and Confused
Reaction score
How do the remote start setups work with the stock security options?
I am looking at ordering a new PSD equiped SD and if I go with the Lariat lvl trim it is standard to have the Advanced Security Group, or go with the XLT I can opt to leave it off, either way, I have had some factory "Alarms" that were less than ideal to deal with when you dropped another "better" alarm in (would arm if you locked the doors manually on getting out anf the like) had to keep the factory key fob in the car just to make sure the factory alarm didn't lock the starter out on us if it went off :(

richsoucie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
all that advanced security group is keyless entry, number pad on drivers door, passenger lock cylinder delete.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14