timing gear covers?????

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
exactly what is the difference between the 95 cover and the 96-up covers that causes the drain back issues with the HPOP?i have looked at both of mine 1 is a 95 and the other is a 97.only difference i see is the 95 cover has a small hole for the check valve on the HPOP to drain into the gear housing.sorry i forgot to take a picture tonight.

but if you were looking at the back of the cover where the HPOP bolts onto you will see 4 holes.one is the huge round hole where the shaft and gear mate.to the left of that you have a hole on the top and bottom.the hole on the top left looking at the back of the cover is where the tiny drain hole is on the 95 cover.other than this tiny hole they are identical including the reservoir.i talking so identical that you would believe they were the same untill you seen this tiny hole.

i think if i was to run a self tapping screw into the hole and use that gray RTV from hell they use for the oil pan gasket that i wont have the drain back issue.i guess there is only one way to find unless somebody has positive proof that it wont work im gonna try it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Be careful using silicone around the HPOP. You won't want to run the silicone through the pump.

Dave

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
im not useing silicone,i hate that stuff.i will be using the gray RTV that navistar uses for the oil pan and intake gaskets.anybody that has ever removed the intakes or oil pan should know how hard it is to break the seal of this stuff.i broke 2 gasket scrapers and a huge screwdriver trying to get the oil pan off my old motor :eek:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
If you have both covers off why not just put on the 97' cover rather than having a screw in there?

Not wanting to get too far off topic but your signature needs to be edited a little. Now reads "needs an engine,wanna donate to the buy ritchie an engine fund?", needs changed too "engine going in". :)

ryanPSD

Living in Kallynogunforya
Reaction score
It should be "engine going in, however still feel free to donate anyways" :D

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
i dont have the covers off.i cant find a harmonic balancer puller big enough to get the balancers off.

heres some pictures.the blue motor is the 95 motor with the tiny hole.the dirty greasy one is the 97 motor without that hole

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ok well once again i lost my post i had typed -mad

anyways according to a few pictures in a tsb i found i think all i need to do is dril a hole in my 95 cover and use the 97 reservoir

961113d.gif

961113e.gif

961113f.gif

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
well its pretty bad that the search function on the site those pictures came from is useless,google comes up with more than the sites own search

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58